Animal sacrifice equals Epic conditions in Big Sur

Upcoming event & clinic announcments.

Moderator: Event Co-Ordinator

BJ Strand

Animal sacrifice equals Epic conditions in Big Sur

Post by BJ Strand »

By using up most all of the bad luck on Friday, it made for epic conditions on Saturday: around 8,400 feet as the highest.

I had hoped to leave L.A. on Thursday, but work prevented it and I didn't leave until Friday afternoon. Unfortunately, I had packed enough firewood in my trailer for 3 days of bonfires, plus all the breakfast & lunch food for 2 days, so that sucker was HEAVY. I started chugging up the 5, and just outside of Valencia, on the first steep hill, the blazer started overheating. Made it to the radiator water rest stop and waited for the engine to cool down enough to open the radiator cap. Spent over an hour there in the heat waiting. Eventually topped off and was on my way. Then going through Gorman, the engine just stopped for no reason. I was dumbfounded. The only thing I could think was the fuel pump quit. Sat there for nearly another 45 minutes, on the side of the road, when I hear someone honking. Arriving out of nowhere, like Superman, is Malury & Tokiko. We discuss the options when my dad calls and says disconnect the battery to reboot the computer. The car started right up afterwards. Malury took my glider and decided to follow me, and off we went.

Took awhile, but we got to the 46, and driving along, counting all my many blessings that the car was still running and I would be able to get all the food up to Big Sur, around that time is when I hit a deer. Ran right in front of me, hit the brakes, but rolled right over her. I was shaken to say the least. What else could go wrong. Malury grabbed his knife in case we had to end the suffering of the poor creature, and together we walked back. It was a small doe, looked almost unharmed, but she was dead. We walked back to the cars when a pick-up truck showed up. The guy driving said he lived there and heard the accident, wanted to see if he could help. We explained what happened and he asked where the deer was; he backed the truck up, got the deer on the bed some how, and he was gone. Hope it tasted good buddy.

The car was still drive-able, mostly cosmetic damage, so on we pressed. Got to the campsite around 11:30pm and people could finally go to sleep knowing there breakfast made it safe and sound.

Saturday turned out to be THE DAY!!! Got to launch and it was blowing down pretty good, hard enough that people were bitching, moaning and complaining about the idea of driving down. Joe Greblo eventually launched in a good lull and started going up. We all followed. There was two or three areas that were cranking out thermals and it got crowded! Joe, Richard Shaw, Max Wagner, and Adam Newman all made it up to 8,000 ft, with Richard topping 8,400. It was an unbelievable sight of over 15 gliders circling and sharing the air of Big Sur, just like a good day at Kagel. It was beautiful. Hope someone got a picture.

Sunday was typical Big Sur with sled runs. The two exceptions were Mike Ivey who got above launch, and Orion Price who was last to launch and got a 45 minute flight.

The drive home had some more hick-ups. This time Joe Greblo and car followed me where I promptly over heated on the big rise on the 46. We stopped and removed the thermostat and made it to Paso Robles. There we found a leak in the radiator, the likely culprit for the loss of coolant. Put some quick-weld epoxy on it and finally drove straight back to Sylmar. What an exhausting drive.

Big thanks to Joe Greblo, Cyndia Zumpft, and Kat Shaw for organizing the trip and campsites. Special thanks to Malury & Tokiko for following my troubled car to Big Sur, and to Joe & Kris Greblo, Mike Ivey, and Tom Casper for following me back to Sylmar.

And yes, the flying was totally worth drive. :D
chadness

Post by chadness »

wow - I didn't know about BJ's driving struggles beyond that of the animal sacrifice. Anyway, as a “first timer� to the famous Big Sur trip, a huge thanks to all the planners an contributors to this. It was a great experience to be surrounded by such a large group of friends all working together to eat, drink, park, laugh and fly in this beautiful setting. Andrea and I had a great time. Looking forward to many more of these.

Seeing the number of cameras on gliders and the epic conditions I would guess we will see some clips from the weekend;)

Thank you all so much.

P.S. – As for our vehicle woes, on the way down we stopped at the Elephant Seal vista and the Suburban wouldn’t start. Drawing a fair amount of juice (so I think the solenoid was engaging), but not able to budge the engine. Within minutes, out of luck, two truck loads of pilots pulled in next to us. I was able to tighten the leads to the starter (solenoid and main lead but they were very loose) and then it started. Now what to do? It’s running, should we just head home and sort this out? Or press on? Mike M and I discussed. I decided if turn it off and restart it a couple of times, we go for it. If I turn it off and can’t get it started again we bid our fellow pilots a good trip and camp overnight at the vista and figure out how to get home the next day. At home now and it has started with no issues since. But still gotta stay motivated to find the problem now that the symptom is temporarily absent.
Steve90266

Animal Sacrifice

Post by Steve90266 »

Uh-I got to 8K too (Steve Murillo) as did Erik Larabie and I think Sony made it up there too, although I'm not certain.

Thanks for taking out that little doe eyed deer, BJ. The gods demanded a sacrifice. It was probably Loki who got the air working for us.
Steve Murillo
Malury

Post by Malury »

WOW! This is getting spooky. We had the exact same car trouble as Chad! Our breakdown happened at the Carl's Jr. in Salinas, Ca. I had to yank out the starter and take a taxi to autozone. Got there just at closing, taxi back to Carl's and install it before they turn the parking lot lights out. Done.

Next year lets let the animals alone!