SoCal XC League this Weekend

Upcoming event & clinic announcments.

Moderator: Event Co-Ordinator

AaronColby

SoCal XC League this Weekend

Post by AaronColby »

Hi guys, just a reminder that the SoCal XC League is happening this weekend and everything looks good. We were hoping to do both days at Kagel but due to weather likely we will end up at Marshall on Saturday and be at Kagel on Sunday.

If you want to join us check out our website at: www.usxcleague.com

Due to lack of interest from the HG community we've been catering more to PG but that doesn't mean you can't fly with us. You will need to make sure you fill out a waiver and get the waypoints sorted though. Finally you will want to get on our mailing list to avoid missing any updates due to weather changes.

Right now it looks like we have about 10 pilots give or take that are interested in flying. Jonathan Dietch and I will be doing the site intro and I've already sent out some preliminary information to the pilots (including a link to the site dangers page).

My one question is if it would be possible to get a dedicated shuttle up for us at 10am on Sunday if things work out. Who would I talk to try and organize this? If this isn't a possibility we will work our own rides out.

FYI I'm a new member hear so I'll be able to handle issues regarding the gate.

Cheers,
Aaron Price
"Keep an open mind but not so open it falls out"
~ Richard Feynman ~
Cyndia

XC this weekend

Post by Cyndia »

Hey Aaron,
Hope the weather works out for you this weekend for the XC.
Welcome to Kagel!
Cyndia
AaronColby

Post by AaronColby »

As of now, we are a go for tomorrow. I'll be in the LZ between 9-10am and after that we'll be heading to launch.

Cheers,
Aaron
~ Richard Feynman ~
AaronColby

Thanks SHGA!

Post by AaronColby »

Just wanted to thank the SHGA for allowing the SoCal XC League to have an event here this Sunday. The weather was not quite up to forecast but everyone still had a great time and there were a number of first time visiting pilots to the site.

We set a 41km task from Kagel to 1500 to Lukens and back to the LZ. We had 3 pilots who tagged Lukens and 2 of those managed to make it all the way back!

The day would not have been possible without all the help from local club members, specifically:
- Fred Ballard for running the shuttle up at 10am and cramming a bunch of us in there
- Joe Greblo for letting us use the Windsports truck to get the last 8 pilots up there!
- Hadi Golian for working with us to get all the paperwork done for visiting pilots
- Ben for also helping out with some paperwork and providing a tandem to a visiting P2 pilot from San Diego that would not have been able to fly otherwise!

Thanks guys, you rock! Hopefully we'll be back next year if you'll have us!

For the event I printed off a large topo map (60"x20") of the site, from West Towers to Brown Mountain in order to draw tasks on. I donated it to the site for all to use since for future XC comps, XC training or simply site intro for newbies! I handed it off to Jeff Chipman on my way out today so if you want to use it or know where it is get in touch with him! Here's a picture of it:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1797288/IMG_20120415_122406.jpg

Further if anyone is feeling motivated to expand or modify it, I have the original file (Paint .NET format) available for download for the next few weeks here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1797288/Kagel%20XC%20Map.pdn

JPG used for the printout: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1797288/Kagel%20XC%20Map1.jpg

Cheers,
Aaron Price
~ Richard Feynman ~