Dahlston Cup Results

Moderator: Comp Committee

Chip
Site Admin

Dahlston Cup Results

Post by Chip »

I've completed the result tabulations for the Open and Sport class race held at Sylmar Flight Park 10/29/2006. Here are the results for the two classes:

Open Class Results
Sport Class Results

[url=mms://chipmans.net/hg/files/dahlston.wma]Audio from radio transmissions[/url]

The event went pretty well with high validity scores for the Open class race. Four pilots made the course, with the fastest pilots making it in just over an hour. So the task was good, but likely not long enough given that the task should nominally take about 2 hours. Lessons learned here were, get going early. Somewhat of a disadvantage (possibly), day light savings time kicking in the night before (necessitating an earlier start time than we would have done just one day prior).

The Sport class validity was pretty low given that only one pilot made goal and the task made much more difficult by later starts from nearly all the Sport class competitors. Still the winning pilot hung in there, weak conditions and all to complete the course (but it took a H4 pilot on a topless glider to do it).

As far as the coordination and the organization of the day, I felt most things went exceptionally well, with only minor hiccups (few places for improvements). Thanks to Ken, Cabbage Head, and a whole host of others that got the entire day going. Getting a bit more organized on the radio would be where I will concentrate on improvements.

The eats were excellent, but went fast ......

Plenty of beverages thanks in a large part to Rick Holman and the group of people that it took to unload the "coffin" of liquor and beer.

I wish more pilots would have taken the time to come over and "pin in" at the scoring table. I spend all day out there and I'm learning a few things along the way too :twisted: . I believe the pilots that are new to the format can benefit from being immersed into the whole evolution. But part of that evolution is pinning in so you can see your track log, know that your GPS is working and the scorer can read the data. So next time let's see more of the pilots after they land (you know....... land, go get a beer, and come on over and pin in) 8)

Hope to see you all in the spring, maybe hosting two events :wink:

Thanks to everyone for making this a good, safe, and successful 2006 Dahlston Cup. Now get out there and practice .........
Last edited by Chip on Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Chip said:

I wish more pilots would have taken the time to come over and "pin in" at the scoring table. I spend all day out there and I'm learning a few things along the way too Twisted Evil

I reply:

You are right. I was one of those who didn't pin in, since I blew the Open Task off part way through. And I should know better since I have spent time at the scoring table myself.

I offer my most humble apologies. I will pin in next time, assuming I sign up.

THANK YOU CHIP!!!
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
Chip
Site Admin

Still had fun

Post by Chip »

Don't get me wrong .......

I enjoy doing this for the club. I believe in exposing pilots to the joys and challenges of competing. I'd like to see us do more in these terms. I think there's "opportunity" to teach those that are interested, on the finer details of competition flying.

Local comps are fun and provide a great learning envirionment for pilots looking to increase their flying and decision making abilities. I'm happy to continue working towards the goal of making our local comps the best they can be. 8)
Don

Future Comps

Post by Don »

I'm interested but feel so "Totally Uninformed" - it is almost laughable.

I'm trying to arrange to have Dave Cutter offer his Comp Clinic some weekend this month.

Any and all help is appreciated. I think I speak for numerous H2s & H3s that appreciate those that share their knowledge.

Thanks
Chip
Site Admin

huh?

Post by Chip »

Un-informed? How? Comps, didn't you run one?

There's plenty of info around, don't you mean something else?

What are you un-informed about?