RASP's Regional Atmospheric Soaring Prediction

Or more like weather education. I've posted information I use to help figure out the day. Often I'll also post graphics with explanations of "why" the weather guessers think the day is good.

Moderator: Chip

Chip
Site Admin

RASP's Regional Atmospheric Soaring Prediction

Post by Chip »

RASP's are produced for the local SoCal area by several individuals that have programed their Unix / Linux servers do the crunching of weather data to produce BlipMaps for our local area.

SoCal http://socal.wxmap.info/
Santa Barbara http://topaflyers.com/RASP/UNIVIEWER/univiewer.html
Owens Valley http://www.norcalsoaring.org/BLIP/SIERRA/index.html

I've recently changed my weather site to use these instead of the Dr. Jack BlipMap's seeing how the resolution on the RASP's are more representative of the area we "typically" fly.

This last week the RASP's have been very accurate and have often predicted the height with a high degree of accuracy based on pilot reports.

Today, if correct (and I hope they are), shows the altitude at nearly 8k around 1300 (1pm for you civilians). Well above the early altitude predictions of some other reports.

Welcome to the great fall flying weather. 8)
JD

Re: RASP's Regional Atmospheric Soaring Prediction

Post by JD »

Chip wrote:..........Welcome to the great fall flying weather. 8)
Really? I should expect more days like today? I was unable to fly either Sylmar or Andy Jackson today but could see from Northrdige all the way home to Long Beach that today was an epic day with flat bottom Cumis running the entire length of the San Gabriel Range with bases from 9K to 12L above Baldy. I'm looking forward to some great reports come this evening or tomorrow.
Chip
Site Admin

RASP's are good

Post by Chip »

In a word yes! Fall and Spring flying in SoCal can be very good. Sure maybe your not going to set any records (or maybe you will) but the flying can be very rewarding.

Look at the reports from the SB guys on Saturday.

Compared to yesterday today looks epic. I believe the RASP's based on the pilot reports were getting. It's why I have my site looking the way it does so one can compare upcoming days to the current or previous day.

Your milage may vary, but the RASP's seem to do a pretty good job, and they're free :D
JD

Re: RASP's are good

Post by JD »

Chip wrote:........Your milage may vary, but the RASP's seem to do a pretty good job, and they're free :D
In other words: RASPs rub us the right way! <pun>

I'll have to do my homework and learn how to interpret all that data to figure if the conditions are good.

I have been reading the SCPA/SBSA forums a lot latey and saw that amazing report about Alternator. The PG guys can be a very good resource.

Jeff, Thanks for all your efforts! Jonathan
Chip
Site Admin

And the RASP's score again?

Post by Chip »

Hearing early reports of 11k at Kagel today. If correct then the RASP's got it right once again