Once in a decade event ?!

Or more like weather education. I've posted information I use to help figure out the day. Often I'll also post graphics with explanations of "why" the weather guessers think the day is good.

Moderator: Chip

Chip
Site Admin

Once in a decade event ?!

Post by Chip »

:o The NWS in the following quote is talking about Wednesday's and Thursday's forcast.
NWS wrote:AT THIS TIME IT SEEMS LIKE A ONCE IN A DECADE WIND EVENT IS SHAPING UP. STRONG WEST WINDS BEHIND THE FRONT START WEDNESDAY WITH COLD AIR ADVECTION AND UP TO 50 KT OF 850 MB WINDS THE MOUNTAINS AND THE ANTELOPE VALLEYS WILL LIKELY SEE HIGH WIND WARNING CONDITIONS. THE 00Z STATISTICAL GUIDANCE GIVE KWJF (Fox Field in Lancaster) 42 KT OF SUSTAINED WINDS WEDNESDAY EARLY AFTERNOON. OVERNIGHT WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY MORNING THE WINDS TURN NORTHERLY SETTING UP THE POTENTIAL FOR DAMAGING WINDS OVER THE NORTH WIND FAVORED LOCATIONS OF THE SBA COUNTY SOUTH COAST AND SANTA YNEZ RANGE...THE I-5 CORRIDOR AND THE SOLEDAD CANYON. AT 12Z THERE IS A 77KT 850 WIND MAX AND A 10DM PER 60 MILE THICKNESS GRADIENT. IF THIS SOLUTION IS EVEN CLOSE TO THE TRUTH WIND GUSTS OF 65 TO 70 MPH ARE VERY LIKELY IF THE MDL VERIFIES CLOSE TO THIS SOLUTION GUSTS TO 90 :evil: MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE.
Better get your flying in today before everything gets blown away!

Update: 12-27-2006 11:30am
They weren't lying ....... look at this. The clockwise airflow around the high sandwiched just off the coast next to the counter-clockwise airflow of the low over the western states is really accelerating the wind as if it were a venturi, and it's just getting started! :o

Below is a graphic from the NWS showing temps, wind (via the barbs) and recorded gusts in red. I was looking at the Santa Barbara island data and the wind out in the channel is "sustained" 58 mph. :|