Weather 9/1/07

Or more like weather education. I've posted information I use to help figure out the day. Often I'll also post graphics with explanations of "why" the weather guessers think the day is good.

Moderator: Chip

dcutter

Weather 9/1/07

Post by dcutter »

Well folks, these are some mighty interesting days. I have several reports with the highest altitude of 8300ft. One very detailed report supplies the how/why for that altitude. Before you read the following report and forecast WARNING. We are on the edge of a "Black Sunday" event. Think Icarus, except when you try to touch the thunderhead, you freeze, solid. OK, first a quote from NWS discussion this morning. My guess is the usual descending flow over the transverse ranges that creates the Catalina Eddy, for some reason, turns into ascending flow, like a wave, over LA Co. The only reason I can see, was the giant thunderhead over Palmdale. So I think above the inversion the thunderstorm was sucking the descending air back up into the desert. What felt like a convergence was really this ascending flow. We can confirm this if people with wind direction instruments can verify flow direction in this lift. If it's a convergence we should see wind directions on either side pointing toward the convergence line. If it's this ascending flow, we should see wind direction going the same way on either side of the imagined convergence line. Please remember my warning above. TODAY... I have reason to believe that the Tstorm activity will be closer to us today than yesterday. The inversion is still present but much lower and I suspect will be less or no issue. I see temps being 5° hotter which means we are closer to the Black Sunday line than yesterday. I recommend not trying the above experiment or you are likely to find yourself in air that you can't get out of. The blipspot shows a boundary level top at 12,600ft. I suspect that's possible for a max altitude today but, if you get there you;re going to be in a world of hurt. I'm staying home today. Although I'm considering hanging out in the LZ. Reports to <a href="mailto:[email protected]" class="link">Cutter</a> or by phone (626) 260-1615 Thanks!