Tunnel Rats needed!

Look here for ongoing projects and volunteer opportunities the SHGA is working on. Members may also submit any ideas they have.
BudRob

Tunnel Rats needed!

Post by BudRob »

Now that the concrete work on the pavilion is done, we need some volunteers to dig the dirt out of the storage areas. Yesterday Tony DeSantis made signifcant progress and even Janyce Collins took out a few shovels full. It was amazing how fast the dirt came out of there once the work started.

The dirt is easily dislodged but a method to transport the dirt out to the opening is needed. We know we can rent a dirt conveyor but we don't want to spend money on this. Does anyone have a little red wagon or some kind of container on wheels with an attached rope to pull it out when full?

If you have any equipment that would help, please bring it out so people that are willing to dig have what they need.
BJ Strand

Post by BJ Strand »

Rob, how about putting one of the galvanized tubs for beer bottles on a furniture dolly. Then tie rope to the handles on both sides. Kind of like what they used to dig the tunnel in the Great Escape.

I can bring a furniture dolly this Saturday if anyone thinks this will work.
BudRob

Post by BudRob »

BJ, great idea. Bring it! I hope to see some dirt removed this weekend!
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Yea great! I'll be the Nazi with a bad attitude, who never seems to notice the tunnel activity. Good beer is the secret to this role.
Flyyyyy
BJ Strand

Post by BJ Strand »

I showed up yesterday, late in the afternoon, to try out my furniture dolly with a bucket on it. I think it works pretty well. I left it there in the tunnel in case anyone gets the opportunity to use it.

Notes for usage: Tie the ropes onto the dolly itself. Use a broom to clean where the wheels roll. Wear a dust mask.

I'm willing to give it another go tomorrow night (Thursday) from 6:00 to 7:00 pm if someone is willing to work with me. The person on the other end only has to drag it out and empty it. I'll be the one in the tunnel. Thanks.