Pavilion Railing

Look here for ongoing projects and volunteer opportunities the SHGA is working on. Members may also submit any ideas they have.
Glenn

Pavilion Railing

Post by Glenn »

I set up a 12 ft sample section of the railing I'm proposing on west side of the pavilion. It's not permanently attached and not attached at all to the concrete.

It has a 2 X 8 wood base that would be removed when installed directly on the concrete floor (lowering it 1.5"). It's held in place by being attached to the roof supports with some temporary mickey mouse brackets I threw together at the last minute. Despite only being partly installed it's pretty secure, and I expect could pass field tests for strength in all directions, so feel free to hang on it and test it, but at your own risk of course. Be careful. I don't care if it gets damaged, but please don't get hurt. Some of you are quite fragile at your age.

The top is a common 2 x 10 Douglas Fir board roughly finished with clear exterior urethane. The final wood size and finish can be different, considering aesthetics and environment. I know that clear finishes have a limited life in the sun no matter which one you use.

The rest of the construction is 100% 18-8 Stainless steel, commonly used in marine applications.

This sample represents the best I can provide for my target price of $1800 for the approximately 145 ft of rail in the plans, complete, less installation. Installation will require member help drilling holes in the concrete and welding on brackets to the roof supports, and finishing the top.

Please feel free to test it and criticize. There is no decision on this yet, it's just one proposal by me. If required, we can make some changes. I think this design simplifies and eliminates as much cost as possible while still exceeding the code requirements. If we make changes it will likely add cost to my quote, but we can still go that route. We'll see what the members and the inspector have to say.

Of course the entire concept might not be what we want. I understand that. I did this on my own, with no expectations, and I did it for my own enjoyment. If we reject it, I can use it in my back yard. So feel free to criticize.

Thanks to Rob, Ken, Jesse, Greblo and especially Pi Hsuan. You guys helped to push me to improve it along the way. I'm open to more of that, if it's needed.

Thanks,

Glenn

And: Live testing by the consciousness challenged:
Flyyyyy
skygeek AKA Seabass

Post by skygeek AKA Seabass »

Wow that's awesome simple and elegant, I have worked on Frank Lloyd Wright and Richard Neutra remodels and like the style, now we will be challenged to make the roof as nice as the railings.
gregangsten

Terrific job, Glenn

Post by gregangsten »

Took a look at the railing yesterday and cannot imagine a better one, except maybe the wood used, but I know this is cheap and replaceable. You are certainly right about the rods being much better than cables in all respects. Great job!
rsherwoo

Post by rsherwoo »

That looks really nice! You definitely have my vote! I would recommend a solid color brown stain to match the posts with the clear coat on top.
H4