Introducing the Friends of Sylmar Hang Gliding program

Look here for ongoing projects and volunteer opportunities the SHGA is working on. Members may also submit any ideas they have.
Frederick

Introducing the Friends of Sylmar Hang Gliding program

Post by Frederick »

Hello SHGA,
In our Government Liason & Community Builder board roles, Joe Greblo and I have been putting together a new program intended to boost both areas. It’s called the Friends of Sylmar Hang Gliding program.

We see a great match. The club gets to increase its contribution to the local community, and the Friends help grow the club. It’s targeting seniors who would like to be a part of our unique social community (stop and think about how diverse our folks are, joined by common loves and interests). And our club could use more support for the increased visitor traffic I’d like to get us.

I’d like to see these in the near future:
* More visitors coming to check out what hang gliding and our club are like (and the Friends, with training, can help welcome and inform them)
* More connections to the local community so that we’re highly-valued being in Sylmar (versus kick us out farther from LA because we’re close to big $ commercial aviation airports). Friends could be available during the week to support various connections.
* More social events like afternoon BBQs and movie nights. Some Friends would enjoy helping put those on.
* School field trips to see hang gliding in Sylmar - showcase this jewel of a geo location for hang gliding, and the site of the first US National Championship. Friends could help put this on during the week.

I’ve got written materials on the program. Things presented at board meetings. Contact me directly to get more info and chip in towards this support for our club (aka the last remaining urban flying site in America). I’ve ideas of how you can help. We’re finishing up a "docent" training manual right now, and the brochure and slide deck, then will present to local politicians and drum up our first Friends.

PS thank you Richard et al; I think this is largely possible because we have such nice bathrooms!

Here's a link to the concept slide deck (not the promotional one):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iQQ1wa ... sp=sharing

Here's a link to the draft management plan. I'm the "Community Builder" - a self-named role for my Director at Large activity:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Agk ... sp=sharing

Here's a link to the flyer:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yOEAsN ... sp=sharing

There's also a promo slide deck, mostly a bunch of photos.
Last edited by Frederick on Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinK

Post by KevinK »

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by KevinK on Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
RJ McKeehan

Post by RJ McKeehan »

*redacted, by admin request*
Last edited by RJ McKeehan on Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinK

Post by KevinK »

-------------------------------
Last edited by KevinK on Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
RJ McKeehan

Post by RJ McKeehan »

*redacted*
Last edited by RJ McKeehan on Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jcflies

Post by jcflies »

The problem with dualistic problem-solving--i.e., A or B types of arguments, is that people choose sides, become polarized, and fail to create alternative solutions.

I like the idea of Friends of Sylmar, but I think that we could get a lot more mileage out of our desire to gain city-wide support if we became a presence throughout Sylmar by engaging in community outreach. Rather than inviting senior citizens to hang out in our LZ, we should consider becoming a presence at events that are sponsored and celebrated by community groups in Sylmar. Some examples of this could be a presence at the Olive and Watermelon Festivals, various SYBL events, Sylmar Park Pool competitions, any Forest Service activities that we could help with, and special occasions at the Wildlife Way Station. We could even have T-shirts made that advertise the fact that we are from SHGA and volunteering.

It wouldn’t hurt to throw a little money around the city, in our club’s name, either.

As a member of the Board, I would be happy to volunteer to keep track of our club’s donations of time, effort, energy, and money--as an official resume of our collective goodwill and friendship with Sylmar.
janyce

"You HAVE to make it..."
BudRob

Post by BudRob »

I like Janyce's post, looking for alternatives to serve the same purpose. I understand that there are strong feelings on this topic. But please state your opinions and leave the emotions and personalities out of it.

We will be voting to either proceed with Joe's plan or go a different direction during our September board of director's meeting. We need all the opinions we can get before that time so let's hear it, but please stay on topic.
Steve Clark

Post by Steve Clark »

A couple of thoughts. First I don't think that bringing seniors out to the LZ is a very good idea. If the club volunteered time at senior centers or trips to Dockwieler, where I think senior folks would probably have a better time anyway, this I think might work better. If we want to bring community folks around, why not college age people who might turn out to be the new blood that Hang Gliding and our club needs. Maybe see if they could get some sort of school credit for coming out. Ground School courses (Phys ed credit), Micro Meteorology Courses (Maybe Science credit). Point being some of them might take up Hang Gliding!
Jim

Post by Jim »

I am relaying a suggestion from another pilot who heard the discussion at last week's board meeting regarding a "club" for elders at our site.

This pilot said that a very good way to make a positive impression in the community is to offer help to people, families, groups, that are in need. He says that seeking such people out through contact with the local fire or police is a good method and brings attention to our intent. The help may be in many forms: monetary, time, etc. The pilot intimated that he would be willing to provide the initial contact with the agencies.

This type of outreach introduces SHGA to community members and may have a greater positive impact than bringing a few, exclusive people to dwell in our LZ and use our facilities.
There are two kinds of people in the world: the quick and the dead.
Frederick

Friends/Senior Program details

Post by Frederick »

I've just put Google Drive links to some Friends/Senior Program docs in my original post, above, FYI.

Joe Greblo and I are planning to share with club memebers why we think this program will be very valuable to the club, on:

Saturday, Sept 8th, 11am after the board meeting

There's complexity to it. It looks like very strong potential benefits to the club in 3 different types. Joe and I have worked on this together because it looks like it will serve external community, government, and pilot community interests. He's our Gov Liason. I'm trying to build up our pilot community in my self-titled Community Builder role.

Come then to find out more about this idea, bring your questions, and tell me how you'd like to pitch in to help me set this up.
Bob Kuczewski

Re: Friends/Senior Program details

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Frederick wrote:Come then to find out more about this idea, bring your questions, and tell me how you'd like to pitch in to help me set this up.
I think it's a super idea Frederick!!

The Friends of Sylmar Hang Gliding program sounds like a very appropriate (and "friendly") name. :D

It also reminds me of the good work done by the Friends of Dockweiler Gliding Society at Dockweiler.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: USHGRS
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you'll find that opportunity in your own time.