Windsock Tamper Proof Engineering

Look here for ongoing projects and volunteer opportunities the SHGA is working on. Members may also submit any ideas they have.
ericbrown

Post by ericbrown »

yeah it's gone. the pole looked burnt like they set it on fire.
Don

"looks like it was burnt"

Post by Don »

Scary - the thought that someone would attempt to burn the pole with Red Flag warnings.

If anyone thought we weren't dealing with some really stupid people - attempting to burn something in these conditions should change your mind.

BTW - looks like a new one has been put up.
Vrezh

Post by Vrezh »

Tuesday (9-th), when we went up, it was down again. On the way up we saw couple of vehicles (Sheriff's and a Ranger) leaving the setup area. Don't know if it had anything to do with the windsock or vandalizm in general on the top we are witnessing recently again.
But I was able to put the pole back in the place with streamers, let's see if it survives a night or two. Also Supine Jim came up with another pole and was planning to plant it below the donut.
Vrezh.
JT

Burned Pole

Post by JT »

Yes, the pole was pulled out, bent at 90 degrees a few feet from the top end and cooked over an open fire on the Saturday night, before New Year's day. We tossed away some of the left over dry wood (not much effect, they tear up anything dry) and Greblo broke off the short, bent end and replaced it for the day.

Someone just doesn't like us at all, to spend that much effort to knock down an old pole. They obviously aren't too bright, either, starting a large fire amidst all the dry brush. They could have easily cooked themselves.

If it were possible, I'd say the next thing to try is to put a new footing for the flag in the middle of the scrub oak so that getting to the pole would be a prickly proposition. Of course, it would be pretty hard to get in there without getting scratched to begin with. Second idea: put up a PVC flag pole only during the day while we fly and take it down when the last driver leaves. Leave it in the LZ for the early birds to plant it on the first trip up. No use for the web-cam but we usually know the wind direction before we go up anyway.

If some one knows this, please post the Sherriffs' department number that we could call to have them investigate when lights are noticed on Kagel. I noticed lights up there a few nights ago while driving home. Rob and I can see the top from or near our homes. I'd call if I notice lights. Maybe some one knows if the Sherriffs wouldn't mind getting such notice?
JBBenson

Post by JBBenson »

Last time I was up there someone had the idea to make a tether-ball type of arrangement:

Old tire filled with concrete as a base and a permanent metal pole attached to it.

They can knock it down but it is easy to set it up again. Unlikely they will cart it away as it would be pretty heavy.
Christian

Post by Christian »

This method lasted eight months. You just work your way into the scrub oak on launch and duct tape the PVC to the branches. Some folks have suggested that black PVC would be easier to see in the Kam.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Dec. 22 (2005) a streamer was installed as a windsock substitute. It is two 10' lengths of PVC (1.5" and 2" dia), telescoped to 15' long and screwed together. Three lengths of 4" wide heavy Dacron streamers, the longest óf them 4', were bound at one end and duct-taped to the top. The pole is secured upright in the branches of a bush, duct-taped at various points. This was under $10 total materials, not counting the Dacron donated by Windsports (which may be expensive). We'll see how this rig lasts against wind, rain and scumbags
Glenn

Windsocks

Post by Glenn »

I'm the pilot who made the LZ streamer design that has been used in the LZ for the last 3 or more years. These are the ones with the 12 " wide attachment swivel that can use a wide streamer. I had a liver transplant last year , so I have not maintained them for a while. I'm doing great now and should be flying again soon. I will try to rebuild them soon, maybe this weekend (1/13/07). Last January I installed the same type system about 100 feet below launch, not visible from on top of the hill. It is almost impossible to get too and even dangerous since it is at the top of a cliff deep in the bush. I still have scars fom the installation. The important thing is that I checked it last month and it was still there although the nylon streamer is just a stub now. So the pole has been undisturbed and undamaged for a year. It is only visible from the LZ or the Windsports cam if the cam is aimed at it. It is visible directly below the usual pole location. It does not help those on launch, and is in the wind shadow during northerlies. It is a multisection PVC pole mounted over a stainless steel pipe driven into the earth with a sledge hammer. I can replace the streamer there if it will help.
Flyyyyy
Chip
Site Admin

New Streamer?

Post by Chip »

I was at the LZ today (walkin the dog since they wasn't gonna be any flyin) :evil: . I spotted a new streamer on the peak just below and to the left from launch (as you're looking from the LZ). It looks pretty tall (I hadn't seen the pole previously).

It has a nice long streamer on it and is pretty easy to see from the LZ and I'm sure the WindSports cam can zoom in on it.

Anyone know the "engineer" responsible for the new "smart" location? 8)
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I think you are descibing the pole I put up last January (see message above). I did not replace the streamer though. Whoever did performed an admirable task since getting to that pole requires extreme tenacity and the eye of the weasle. It is also dangerous and should not be attempted without the buddy system since there is huge drop off right below the pole location. In fact the person who did it may be down there and really pissed.
Flyyyyy
Chip
Site Admin

Engineers revealed

Post by Chip »

Turns out that the people responsible for the new streamer are Supine Jim, Ron Wiener, and Phil Bloom.

I did see your pole "bare" and can see why it was so hard to get it in place.

The current streamer is in a pretty good place and is EASILY seen from the LZ. They pounded a piece of aluminum into the ground for the sleeve and then placed a 10 - 12 fiberglass pole into the sleeve (it's plenty sturdy).

Now we need one like that on trash and one on locals.

Nice job guys 8) .
Lucky 13

Post by Lucky 13 »

Maybe we could chain a mountain lion to it?
Christian

Post by Christian »

Re-taped the streamer yesterday to the top of the "cooked pole." That pole, PVC over steel, is our symbol of conquest through invincibility. The other streamers at foot of launch and on western knoll are in good shape.

The pole was gang-tagged, so is the concrete work for the Kagel ravine drainways and our SHGA sign on the road.

We are winning.