Jeff Craig Was Killed On Landing Today

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

WingNutz

Jeff Craig Was Killed On Landing Today

Post by WingNutz »

That's all I know, from Rome. He said that it has been on the TV news.

Don Banas apparently saw it.

Larry
Soar With Prudent Passion

Larry Chamblee
JD

Re: Jeff Craig Was Killed On Landing Today

Post by JD »

Flamejob wrote:That's all I know, from Rome. He said that it has been on the TV news.

Don Banas apparently saw it.

Larry
I heard it on KPCC driving home from Westwood at 7 PM. This is very sad news. I live in Long Beach. If there anything I can do please let me know. Jonathan
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Although I talked to him a few times, I missed my chance to know him well. He seemed like an exceptionally nice guy.

Obviously, we need to analyze the two fatalities carefully and immediately. Do we have a problem we don't understand... has the wind pattern changed at the LZ for some reason? Are we missing something? I need to know more before I'll feel safe landing there again. Can we get the accident reports up ASAP?

The people in this club are some of the finest and coolest I've ever known, so please be careful.
Flyyyyy
JD

Jeff's Last Post

Post by JD »

This is especially heart breaking after reading Jeff's most recent post concerning landing safety:
http://www.shga.com/forum/phpBB2/viewto ... ight=#4525
Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:45 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use the streamers at either end of the LZ. If there's a thermal coming through alot of times they well be going in different directions. Of course this can be hard to see if your watching the #'s like your supposed to.

Jeff
Also it looks like he came down in a clear area near the white rocks
KNBC photo
bricksfly

Post by bricksfly »

Oh such sad news... Also met and was around Jeff a few times bit didn't really get to know him. Pretty young really and from what I saw he had a big scare with his heart a year ago.

We will all want to know how things happened as much as is possible to determine.

A terrible loss.
Bill
Malury

Post by Malury »

Everyone in the SHGA is precious to us but this is particularly painful. Jeff was my contemporary, my wingman, we learned to fly together and enjoyed many adventures together. He was a pilot of "My Generation". Jeff was a prince of a guy who held my wires many a time. Thanks for the safe launches Jeff, I salute you.
Don

Jeff

Post by Don »

I did NOT see the accident happen. I arrived at the LZ about 15 minutes after the accident and about 1 minute before the emergency response vehicles arrived. Phil Bloom and Alex ? were the first responders. Based upon the discussions it appears that Jeff died on impact.

Like Malury, Eric, Richard, & Freddy - Jeff was a contempary - someone we all learned with. In the 2+ years I knew Jeff, he became a close and dear friend.
ajnanyc

Post by ajnanyc »

Yet another fatality this summer at Sylmar!

These tragedies are very sad and sobering to the club and to the sport.

Is there anything "collectively" that the club could do to help prevent these disasters? i.e, mandatory ground school re-evaluation, improving visibility of wind socks in the LZ, etc...
JD

Post by JD »

S7 wrote:........Is there anything "collectively" that the club could do to help prevent these disasters? i.e., mandatory ground school re-evaluation, improving visibility of wind socks in the LZ, etc...
It's not just here. I've been reading accounts of avoidable accidents all around the country. And by some weird series of coincidences I know several of these people and followed up with them afterwards. When I came back to this Sport this April after 26 years away, Greblo described to me that it's too easy to get extended airtime with modern equipment and as a result, even advanced pilots often have lost their skills at ground handling, landings and take-offs. I came into this sport the long way back in 1973, self-taught from a book on a plan built standard Rogollo. Back then you learned how to get real good at ground handling, landing and taking off, because that is what you spent most of your time doing. And frankly, you can get into trouble a lot faster and harder on the modern, 'safer' glider than we used to on the old fashioned, 'dangerous' gliders. Unfortunately there is a shortage of 50-100' high bunny hills where we can practice these 3 fundamental skills all day long.

Before I did my first mountain solo in 28 years last Saturday, I called Rob and inquired about buying an hour or two of Gator rides up Mt. McKenzie just to practice take-offs and landings (in non-coastal breeze conditions). Even though my flight went very well from start to finish I still think it would have been worthwhile to drill myself. I owe my ability to execute a safe flight on a Sport 2 after so long away to Joe Greblo's almost Marine sergeant drilling during our 31 minute tandem training flight in April. I've played the video back dozens of times and last Saturday, not only could I hear Joe barking in my ear but could feel him jerking my head by the helmet and pointing my eyes at the imaginary landing lines. It was like I'd been programmed on what to do. Joe further admonished me about the hazards of being a member of the 'old school' of returning, self-taught flyers from the early '70s.

Even after I landed, I spoke with some of the other flyers I met about getting additional dual instruction for the purpose of being drilled on the essential skills. I won't belabor the point any further. For all I know, I am just writing this for my own edification. Apparently, I happen to live a short distance from Jeff’s widow. I will pay her a visit at the first opportunity.
ericbrown

Post by ericbrown »

Total shock. It's hard to believe the guy who I've shared so many rides to the top of (and bottom of) Kagel with is gone. He really was the nicest guy around. My condolences to his family.
Steve90266

This is terrible news

Post by Steve90266 »

We are extremely saddened to hear the news of the death of Jeff Craig. His loss shakes all of us to the core. Ourheartfelt prayers and condolences go out to his family.

Steve & Pat Murillo
Steve Murillo
jeffsfamily

Post by jeffsfamily »

i'm one of jeff's daughters, amelia. i know you all are a lot like family, so i thought to let you know that we are very thankful for the kind words said. flying was his favorite pastime. he said he felt free when he was in the air.

i'll keep everyone informed on here with funeral information and whatnot.

again, thank you.

if you want to get in contact with us, you can email me at monkapottamos@aol.com and i'll give you my mother's number, so that you can talk to her.
jwjanda

Post by jwjanda »

I was in the LZ but did not witness the impact. I didn't even know soemthing had happened until I saw Greblo coming out of the windsports house pointing out to the wash. By that time Alex, Phil and Megan had already gone out there as responders.

I didn't know him very well, only taked to him a few times. Its sad to have a pilot leave the community this way.

NMErider, Jeff did not impact in a clear area. The impact occured where the blue tarp is in the right of that picture. The glider was moved out of the way while paramedics where there.
JD

Post by JD »

jwjanda wrote:.........Jeff did not impact in a clear area. The impact occured where the blue tarp is in the right of that picture. The glider was moved out of the way while paramedics where there.
Thanks for clearing that up. I saw that free standing blue shade in another TV photo and didn't realize that it was put in that exact spot for that reason.
Christian

Post by Christian »

Jeff was a great guy, a guy you would want to be with anytime anywhere. Nobody I would rather sit next to on the ride up the hill, and for me he'll always still be in that seat.
Meg B

Post by Meg B »

Jeff was the new friend who helped me out on one of my first launches from Kagel. My hang check, my wires, and informing me about the thermals that come through launch and what I should be looking for in the windsock.

Later when we both were in the LZ I went over and thanked him for his help, he said "not a problem we look out for each other here." After only a few month with you Slymar pilots I know that to be absolutely true.

Thanks Jeff, for a safe and confidence building launch.

Meg
Joseph

Very, very sad news - a great loss to all

Post by Joseph »

I flew with Jeff many times. Jeff was a kind and caring man. He always was considerate and had kind words. He was not a push over and stood his ground for things he believed in. He was like bedrock, silent and strong. People like Jeff provide a foundation for clubs like the SHGA. They do a lot of heavy lifting behind the scenes that makes everything easier.

Jeff did not draw attention to himself, he was quick to laugh and share life's simple things. He had an open joy and passion for flying that was contageous. He loved flying and if he had a free day from work he would more than likely make his way to the L/Z.

One of the saddest things about this is that all the people who did not know him will never get the chance.

Jeff you will be sorely missed.
Majid "dion"

God bless you Jeff!

Post by Majid "dion" »

A great guy and a partner in the sky, good memories will live on....
Jeff helped me many time at launch when i felt alone and needed help with wires and getting ready, we had also great conversations and laughter on the way up.
JBBenson

Post by JBBenson »

DAMMIT ALL.

another sailor

through glass squinting, (not darkly)

returns to birdfarm
Frederick

Jeff Craig

Post by Frederick »

!

!

!

This sorrow doesn't express in words. Jeff has been a great friend of mine and pilot for the years he's been flying -- part of my group of six. He had such a continually bubbling-up positive energy in him that he was always a joy to be around. Even the way he talked about his post-heart-attack diet and exercise was still in the positive. It's a great loss to all of us he was around. My pleasure of his friendship and company, and my deep sympathy and sorrow and shock, to his loved-ones. He was a very special person.

F