Washing machine leaked onto my Falcon..

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

addicted2climbing

Washing machine leaked onto my Falcon..

Post by addicted2climbing »

Hello all,

I have had my glider on the floor in the garage for a few weeks since I have not been flying and wanted to have my glider at home since it is closer to the beach. I have been away long enough that I could use some beach launching refreshers. Anyhow, I just got back from a vacation only to find that the washing machine leaked and managed to soak about 4 feet of the glider from the wingtips. Worse yet whatever caused the washer to fail leaked black colored water and now my glider is stained.. Luckily it happened only a day or so ago so it is not moldy. I got home too late last night that I only had time to unfurl the wingtips to allow them to dry. I plan to set the glider up in the back yard to allow it to dry further as well as try and clean it up. So my question is what is best to clean it? I think the black in the water may be oil or grease.. or perhaps belt residue; Unsure. I have seen online that people use simple green to clean the sail, but before I did anything I wanted to ask advice.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Also I plan to make something to at least keep it up off the floor when I have it at home so that at least it wont happen again.

Best regards,

Marc
Don

Windsports

Post by Don »

Talk to Joe or Andy. My Falcon got damp and stained. Not much could be done for the stained sail - but I was more concerned about possible damage to the metal.

You could try SimpleGreen.
OSCAR

Sail cleaning

Post by OSCAR »

I use Acetone ( Nail polish remover) followed by lots of water for stains on my sail. Image
addicted2climbing

Oscar,

Acetone seems a bit harsh chemical wise. I believe Dacron is Synthetic and it may break it down. I was even considering oxyclean and of course a ShamWOW...

I plan to set it up in the bakc yard to see how bad it is. I believe its more a cosmetic thing more than anything.

Marc
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

Larry Chamblee loaned me some of his Clorox Cleanup to remove some cat urine that got on my sail despite the 7,000 foot plus altitudes I was getting with it on my sail. He suggested a soft brush but I was worried about wear to the threads that sewed the sail together so I used mostly the pads of my fingers to scrub. Do a 5 foot section of the sail at a time scrubbing lightly and rinse 3 times not leaving any cleaner on your sail longer than 2 minutes. Repeat as necessary 3 or 4 times. When done place the set up glider in the sun to dry. You can make your own clorox cleanup with 1 tablespoon bleach and 1 tablespoon dishwashing detergent added to 1 quart water. I haven't noticed any bad effect on my sail. It will dry out your finger tips though.

http://www.simplegreen.com/solutions_fa ... l=Show+All
Simple Green makes an aircraft grade cleaner that is safe for Aluminum.
Over the years I would only use bottled water to spot clean any dirt from my wing tips. I didn't want any chemicals or hard water to come in contact with my sail.
Last edited by dhmartens on Tue May 04, 2010 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

PLEASE check with Wills Wing, Joe or Andy first!

Hang glider sails are not only synthetic, but have certain resins in them as well. I know nothing about what will damage them, but do know that you want to be very sure what you are using is ok before you try it... Some chemicals are not good for your sail. Or maybe your finger-pads either. ;-)

Maybe the above suggestions are ok, but if it were my sail, keeping me in the air - thousands of feet up, I'd sure want to be certain. :-)
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
abinder

Post by abinder »

stebbins wrote:PLEASE check with Wills Wing, Joe or Andy first!

Hang glider sails are not only synthetic, but have certain resins in them as well. I know nothing about what will damage them, but do know that you want to be very sure what you are using is ok before you try it... Some chemicals are not good for your sail. Or maybe your finger-pads either. ;-)

Maybe the above suggestions are ok, but if it were my sail, keeping me in the air - thousands of feet up, I'd sure want to be certain. :-)
Definitely a good idea.

Allen
addicted2climbing

Hello All,

So I called WW and they said that any mild detergent will work. She suggested diluted Dishsoap or for tough stuff Simple Green... However she also suggested that for tough spots I could use Acetone... That seems a bit crazy, but I guess all is good Oscar.. She did say dont wash the whole wing in Acetone...

I will try the dishsoap first this weekend...

Marc