Moderator: Chip

OP

Deeetch builds his own glider (pic)

Post by OP »

Apologies if this is old news.
JD

Re: Deeetch builds his own glider (pic)

Post by JD »

OP wrote:..........Apologies if this is old news.
LOLOL! What's so old about May, 1979? Seems like only yesteryear.

OP

Post by OP »

Nice!
Steve90266

BYO Glider

Post by Steve90266 »

Hey Jonathan,

What's that sticking out in front? It looks like an in-flight refueling probe. Wow, you really built that thing to stay up!
Steve Murillo
addicted2climbing

Post by addicted2climbing »

Jonathan,

I really like the looks of that glider. Reminds me of something you would see in the early 1900's.. Do you still have it? If so ever take it out for nostalgia sake?

Marc
JD

Post by JD »

addicted2climbing wrote:.......Do you still have it?........
Marc, It's long gone. Here's a little bit more info: http://imageevent.com/aero92/gliders
OSCAR

J-no's glider

Post by OSCAR »

You sure were a daring young man, building your own gliders wow!. did you ever have a wire break at or slip out of the Nico ? Did you ever test the connections to see how much pull it would take to break it ?.Did the White - Tailed Dart require tools to set it up ? .
addicted2climbing

Hey Jonathan,

Those pictures were great. I really like the looks of the WTD. I wish I were around for the experimenting phase of this sport when it was in its infancy. Yet I know I am also lucky to be flying now when the gliders are much more refined. Anyhow, I was at the field yesterday and was speaking with Juan who use to work for Moyes as a designer and airframe tester and it was so interesting to hear what is involved in designing, testing and refining hangliders.

On anothe rnote I saw your R/C pictures. Do you still fly R/C? I use to be big into R/C sailplane competitions and I still have quite a few as well as a winch so if your ever up to fly let me know. I may try and bring a Discus Launch Glider to the BBQ next week if I can repair it before then. Oh and switch it over to 2.4hgz since the power R/C field is so close.

Marc
JD

Re: J-no's glider

Post by JD »

OSCAR wrote:You sure were a daring young man, building your own gliders wow!..........
Oscar, I wasn't daring so much s obsessed with designing and experimenting. I set up my own test rigs and never had a structural failure although I had some under-built ships that needed to be changed. The WTD had tool-free setup. It could be run into the air on flat ground a glided for a pretty good distance.
JD

Post by JD »

addicted2climbing wrote:..........Do you still fly R/C? I use to be big into R/C sailplane competitions and I still have quite a few as well as a winch so if your ever up to fly let me know..........
Hi Marc, I used to belong to SOAR back in the early 80s and did a very limited amount of comps although I built an F3B ship and had two winches. Everything is long gone now but it would be fun to fly some R/C again. I need the thermalling training.
addicted2climbing

Hey Jonatahn,

I have wanted to build one of these for years but never had the time. One of those wishfull projects. http://m-sandlin.info/goat/goat.htm

I got the chance to talk to Mike Sandlin years ago about the Goat and got to Windjam the Bug in Tehachapi. We would put chalks under the wheel, and the wind was strong enough to be able to use all 3 axis to balance it on its wheel but not strong enough to lift it off the ground. We flew it without moving for hours wiht everyone taking turns. It was much more responsive than you would think.

Before I left Sailplanes, I came really close to buying one of these kits..
http://www.continuo.com/Marske/monarch.htm

Perhaps one day when ultralight sailplanes are more plentifull I will build something...

Marc
JD

Post by JD »

Hi Marc,

The Goat and Monarch look like tons of fun to me. Some day you will get your wish of an ultralight sailplane I'm sure! I'll see you buzz over Kagel and then disappear into the wild blue yonder.

Cheers, Jonathan
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

Hi Jonathan,

I used to live in the Chicago area 86-90 and recognize the Warren Dunes State Park. Was it Soar-able there at all? I remember running down those dunes as fast as I could - no glider.

I think I found a rare photo of one of your earliest prototypes, but I can't be sure.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

This was the limited edition . it never made it off the ground very far due to it's high wing loading .but it was reported to have made it rain on launch angering the local pilots .
JD

Post by JD »

dhmartens wrote:...........
Yup! As you can see from the photo, 'The Skipper' is having a go at it.
Little Buddy :P
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Image this was the first time JONO made it rain the lightning struck his tail feathers .This was also how the glider got it's name .pilots on launch reported seeing a white tail dart off the bluff. :P how do ya like me now. :lol:
JD

Post by JD »

OSCAR wrote:..........pilots on launch reported seeing a white tail dart off the bluff. :P how do ya like me now. :lol:

Did somebody say. "White Tail" on "the bluff"?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhNgMO-CzHg[/youtube]
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

Perhaps Moon River would be a good song choice.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK4pmJQ6zgM[/youtube]

On the design note, I noticed at least 1 other hang glider from that era that used a front extended keel and cables in stead of a crossbar. I wonder why thats not used today anymore.

I found another design that looks like a futuristic version of the White-tailed dart
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Nice comeback little buddy,.. touche :!: