VASI for Sylmar?

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

OP

VASI for Sylmar?

Post by OP »

msoultan

Post by msoultan »

I think it's a great idea, but I'm sure you're going to hear other people say that you shouldn't rely on these kinds of visual aids because the majority of the time you probably won't have them (unless you fly Andy Jackson or anywhere else that had a VASI). That said, it would definitely take a lot of the guesswork out of trying to figure out when to make turns.

Now, due to the fact that Andy Jackson has a solid limitation (the hill), they're turning point is going to be relatively the same as you don't have a choice to extend your downwind leg. At kagel, the VASI (in a similar configuration to Andy Jackson) could potentially cause problems if someone doesn't know when to turn - but that could probably be sorted out one way or another.

Another (additional) option that I think would be extremely helpful, especially in the beginning of my gliding lessons, is if there was one by the numbers in the wash to be referenced from the staging area. It's a bit difficult to tell your 45 when you're in a bank, and this would take away a lot of the guesswork, especially in the beginning and set pilots at the correct altitude when starting their downwind.

I would be totally down to build one of these if there was enough interest.

Joe,
Do you think this would be a helpful learning aide for students?

Mike