LZ Wireless

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Chip
Site Admin

LZ Wireless

Post by Chip »

Wow,

Thanks for the great response and the number of donations the day after we get everything up and running. We're nearly complete in the number of people that need to contribute to having the cable bill paid for the entire year as we wanted to do. We need 15, yesterday there were 9 donations ($20 minimum). Several pilots committed to adding more than the minimum. I've heard more than one account where some pilots are considering working from the LZ on some "supervisor free" days. I'll take that as a glowing endorsement of the current bandwidth we're achieving. :o

Mike Mocannin step it up big time and gave a donation that for the most part will bring WiFi into the LZ big time. With his donation, we'll purchase an industrial grade WiFi repeater that will ensure the entire LZ will be illuminated. That equipment is already ordered and should be here this week.

For everyone else, I'm committed to making this service available for as long as the donations continue. The more we get, the longer the service will be prepaid and the longer we'll all enjoy the service. So if we get 30 people donating, then effectively those that have donated will have wireless for $10 / year, and so on.

After the repeater gets installed, I'll be interested in hearing the bandwidth throughput your able to achieve particularly in the barrio.

Once again, thanks for the wonderful support.
skygeek AKA Seabass

Post by skygeek AKA Seabass »

If we get a repeater with a hardwired output to a switch at the LZ we can connect internet network cell repeaters for ATT Free? & Verizon $250.00 that would improve cell reception for those 2 carriers, better reception than the current cell repeater.
Thanks to all who contributed and did the work.
OP

Post by OP »

My phone, and I assume most these days, makes calls via WiFi. No need for the carrier specific cell amplifier.
skygeek AKA Seabass

Post by skygeek AKA Seabass »

When you have no reception and are on a local network you will have data service but no voice service. That's why carriers make these cell network extenders with GPS location its like having a cell tower at your location connecting to the provider through the internet. You will have both 4G LTE and voice like your near a outdoor cell tower.
rsherwoo

Post by rsherwoo »

The AT&T Microcell is limited to 15 specific phone numbers. The Verizon and Sprint microcells work with any phones from those respective carriers.
H4
Steve90266

WIFI

Post by Steve90266 »

Chip, put me down for a standard donation. I would love to work Fridays from the LZ and catch a flight or two.
Steve Murillo
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I'll be contacting all your employers to negotiate a contract where I will act as on-site supervisor for your LZ work schedules. I'm big on discipline and hard work, and I'll be cracking the whip, but I can be bribed. Glowing work evaluations are available at a modest upcharge. Remember: teamwork, motivation, persistence, quality, blah ,blah blah. That's what she said. Oh look, donuts!
Flyyyyy
Chip
Site Admin

Current Status

Post by Chip »

So here's where we are regarding donations and the wireless

Jay Devorak has his part paid in full
Pilots have their part paid in full plus additional donations.

Effectively, as we stand now, with 24 pilots, cost of internet per year is a whole $12 / year. So those of you that donated will likely see internet for nearly two whole years (because they donated $20). The more that buy in, the lower the costs go. However we will see a small increase next year as this year was purchased with promotional pricing. I'm hoping we can get the price down around $10 /yr, so that your $20 buy in will last a full two years. :o

Bandwidth tests show good throughput generally around 5 - 8 Mbs (better bandwidth the closer to the pavilion you stand), which is in line with the repeating the signal from across the street.

Capacity seems to be no real issue from what I can see, given the number of pilots that are typically there on the weekend. Obviously, weekdays are not an issue. :roll:

I'm currently working to get Jay's throughput closer to the 14Mbs range (which is what we're paying for and what is theoretically possible if you connect to SHGA instead of SHGA LZ) given that he's paid for half of the yearly cost and he's there more often than the rest of us.