Memorial Day in the Owens anyone?

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

stebbins

Memorial Day in the Owens anyone?

Post by stebbins »

I am seriously considering going to the Owens Valley for Memorial Day weekend. As of now, I have no driver or other pilots, but if anyone wants to come, lets see what we can set up. (Weather and road conditions permitting, of course.)

Early in the season the mountains are beautiful with all the snow at the higher elevations, and the air is often much nicer than later in the season.
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
mario

Re: Memorial Day in the Owens anyone?

Post by mario »

I’m interested in going and know a few others that would probably like to go - if the weather looks friendly, that is ;)
Mario
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

I forgot to mention: Hang III or above. Strong launches. Usually, there is very little wind on launch, and it is almost a cliff.

And as Mario says, weather permitting.

Usually, the road is open by Memorial Day weekend, but not always. (It wasn't open that early last year, I think.) But 90%+ times it is.
suesen

Post by suesen »

This is Sue. :D I would really like to go!
gregangsten

Post by gregangsten »

You can count me as probable.
greg a.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Excellent. We still need to find driver(s), I think. I don't currently have one. I do have a vehicle that can take 3-4 gliders and a similar number of pilots (myself included.) And it can go off road. Tight space for gear, but we can make it work.
suesen

Post by suesen »

I too have a Jeep Renegade trailhawk with 4 wheel drive made for offroading. I can take 4 gliders. =D
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

I'm thinking this isn't going to happen. :cry: I could be wrong, and I'm still holding out a bit of hope, but right now, I don't see how we can do this as a group.

Individuals with family drivers, sure. But a group? I don't see how. (And I am unlikely to have such a driver at that time.)

But we don't have to make that call quite yet. Let's hope I'm wrong. (And not just because of the trip!)
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

I hope everyone gets to fly somewhere. I do plan on going to the Owens soon. My wife offered to drive for me in about two weeks, and my kids are willing to come, so no childcare issues. :-)