Congratulations Erika!

If your topic lands here, you either put it here yourself or one of the moderators thought it likely too polarizing a subject to stay in the General Discussion area
JD

Congratulations Erika!

Post by JD »

I just read in the USHPA newsletter:

"Erika Klein is excited to join the USHPA in the new role of Communications Manager. She’ll lead a new communications strategy to reconnect with members, clarify the many changes of the past few years, and keep you updated on the organization’s works in progress. An H4 pilot and Basic Instructor, she has a background in writing, editing, and multimedia journalism. She holds an MS in journalism from the University of Southern California and is based in Los Angeles"
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

JD wrote:She’ll lead a new communications strategy ...
Right. That's what's been missing ... a "communications strategy".

Isn't that what Paul Montville was supposedly hired to do a decade or so ago?

Maybe they should try the one "communication strategy" they've been avoiding ... telling the truth.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: USHGRS
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you'll find that opportunity in your own time.
JD

Post by JD »

Bob Kuczewski wrote:
JD wrote:She’ll lead a new communications strategy ...
Right. That's what's been missing ... a "communications strategy".

Isn't that what Paul Montville was supposedly hired to do a decade or so ago?

Maybe they should try the one "communication strategy" they've been avoiding ... telling the truth.
Hey Bob,

How about showing some support for Erika instead of making this about you and your agenda? She's a good-hearted person and you just disrespected her along with all of us who are behind her.

Sincerely,
Jonathan
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

It's lipstick on a pig, Jonathan.

USHPA has screwed up royally for about a decade now. They've lost their insurance. They're losing control of sites. They're losing the loyalty of their lifelong members. They're killing off the sport of hang gliding. So they look for shills like you to pump up their image.

I didn't say anything disrespectful about Erika yet, but I know that USHPA will try to use her as a tool - just like they have with you - to spread their propaganda (or at least make it easier to swallow).

Of course, I am willing to be proven wrong. Let's see how well Erika "communicates" some of the problems that USHPA has tried to cover up all these years. I predict she will have no say in what she "communicates". That's not a criticism of Erika. It's a criticism of USHPA's rotten core. It will only become a criticism of Erika if she goes along with peddling their propaganda and suppressing the truth while taking her paycheck from the members' pockets. Just like Ken Andrews, Erika will soon face the tough question of whether she's working for the pilots in the sport ... or for the "insiders" who control it.

What do you predict she will do Jonathan?

Erika? Care to share your thoughts on the subject?
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you'll find that opportunity in your own time.
JD

Post by JD »

Bob Kuczewski wrote:It's lipstick on a pig, Jonathan.
Are you calling Erika Klein a pig Bob? It certainly appears that is what you meant by how you phrased your post and after all you're a man who says what he means right?
What do you predict she will do Jonathan?
Her best, Bob. I predict that Erika will do her best in spite of your derision of her character.
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

JD wrote:Are you calling Erika Klein a pig Bob? It certainly appears that is what you meant by how you phrased your post ...
Anyone with reasonable intellect and reading comprehension skills would already know that's neither what my message says nor is intended to convey.

It makes me wonder what sort of deficit (physical? psychological? moral?) you possess to assert such a conclusion.
JD

Post by JD »

Bob Kuczewski wrote:
JD wrote:Are you calling Erika Klein a pig Bob? It certainly appears that is what you meant by how you phrased your post ...
Anyone with reasonable intellect and reading comprehension skills would already know that's neither what my message says nor is intended to convey.

It makes me wonder what sort of deficit (physical? psychological? moral?) you possess to assert such a conclusion.
It's called common sense Bob.
Meanwhile you do an admirable job of revealing who you truly are to any and all interested readers and for this I heartly express my gratitude.
You owe Erika an appology for deriding her accomplishment and falsing accusing her of fanciful sins yet to be committed.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders has nothing on you.
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

There's no need to argue Jonathan. The facts will make themselves evident in time.

For example, just four weeks ago today, the 47th Anniversary Otto Lilienthal Reunion was hosted at Dockweiler by the U.S. Hawks Hang Gliding Association and the Friends of Dockweiler Gliding Society. Erika herself attended. You'll find her picture among many others here:

http://www.ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=2960

It was a very happy event with an attendee list that reads like a "Who's who" of hang gliding. Let's just observe how well that fits into USHPA's "communications strategy".

As another example, members of those same two organizations (U.S. Hawks Hang Gliding Association and the Friends of Dockweiler Gliding Society) just recently increased the Dockweiler site's availability for flying by 40% (from 5 days to 7). Let's observe how well that fits into USHPA's "communications strategy".

Erika already knows about both. Let's just sit back and see how well they're "communicated" to USHPA's members. That will tell us whether USHPA's new "communications strategy" is really just their latest propaganda strategy.
Jim

Post by Jim »

How is it that a congratulatory announcement for a 'home grown' SHGA pilot in the General Discussion section devolves into a politically-motivated mud-flinging fest?

Back to the original topic,

CONGRATULATIONS ERIKA!

I believe that you will excel in your new position and I can't wait to see the effect you will have on the USHPA, especially, when the changes in directorship are implemented. We will need a strong-minded, skillful person, such as you, in this position. Break a leg!
There are two kinds of people in the world: the quick and the dead.
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Jim wrote:How is it that a congratulatory announcement ...
Easy answer Jim: There's a story behind the story. If you just want to read USHPA's one-sided spin on things they've got a web site for that where general members can't comment. In fact, the SHGA web site also has pages controlled by the club's leadership. The forum is a place for all contributions ... not just for those in power.

I would like to see Erika do well for the sport in her new position. I really really would. The sport desperately needs a courageous hero right now. But I am predicting (warning) that she will find herself shackled in what she can say. I hope she can stand against that and be an independent voice of communication and not just their own "Ministry of Truth" ("1984" reference). That's a perspective lacking in Jonathan's parroting of USHPA's original announcement.

With that thought in mind, I'd like to add another news item that might be worthy of Erika's communication skills. I recently heard that Point of the Mountain and all other Utah State Parks no longer require USHPA membership to fly. Could Erika confirm that for everyone? That would be some real communication!!

Erika?
mrobin604

Post by mrobin604 »

Bob, please take it back to politics. Thanks!

And, congrats Erika! A great way to combine your two interests :)
Malury

Post by Malury »

I'm proud of Erika. Mazel Tov!
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

"Propaganda minister, Joseph Goebbels, made effective use of film ... to influence public opinion."
When do you think we'll be reading Erika's "communications" about:

- Any past or future Otto Lilienthal Meets sponsored by non-USHPA clubs
- Utah's recent removal of USHPA membership requirements for State parks
- Site records recently broken at Dockweiler by any non-USHPA members
- Los Angeles County flight waivers recently available to non-USHPA pilots
- Hang gliding pilots expelled by USHPA for testifying in a court of law

Mazel Tov indeed.
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

mrobin604 wrote:Bob, please take it back to politics.
A topic that starts off talking about USHPA's "new communications strategy" (whether congratulatory or critical) is already political out of the gate.
mrobin604

Post by mrobin604 »

Bob, I’m not going to play your rules lawyer game with you. You know what I’m talking about. Take it back to politics.
Mike M
Site Admin

Post by Mike M »

(Admin hat on)
This conversation has gone from a simple congratulations for a qualified and deserving individual to name calling and political rants. Let’s grow up.

When I return from Lake Powell, where I have little real internet service, I’m going to split off the political portions into the Politics section with an appropriate title. There, the sandbox is open.

In the meantime, further political rants in this topic will be summarily deleted.
I hope everyone can be courteous for 2-3 days.
Ken Andrews
Site Admin

Cool it

Post by Ken Andrews »

Cool it, Bob. Erika is the USHPA Communications Manager, and her business is communication for USHPA. If you want publicity for non-USHPA things, take it elsewhere, such as the US Hawks.

This forum has survived so far without a formal behavior policy, but you're pushing the limits here. The informal policy is that the administrators act as they see necessary, and defer to the board as called upon. You're on very thin ice in both cases.
Bob Kuczewski

Perspective...

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

It's a beautiful day at Dockweiler. I'm laying in the warm sand under my Falcon between sets of about a dozen flights each. I am flying under my own permit with the County of Los Angeles. This is how flying was meant to be. :)

This entire topic probably belongs in the politics section. I'm fine with that. That's where Jonathan should have started it in the first place.

The new communications position is essentially a PR position (whether it's Public Relations or Pilot Relations). USHPA's press release (posted by Jonathan) was also a PR statement. It was USHPA trying to say "we're really listening now". Whether that's true or not is debatable (as evidenced in the previous debate). But in any case, PR is really another name for politics. That's why political campaigns cost so much money ... to pay for the all the ads (the PR).

I have no idea how Erika will handle her new position. Maybe she will be the savior of a beautiful sport that's in deep trouble. I hope so (as I once hoped for Ken), but it will take more than a "feel good" campaign. It will take someone with clarity of thought and courage of spirit. That will be worthy of congratulations. And that's exactly "on topic" with the original post ... even though it expresses a different perspective.

And that brings me to the current discussion. I assume that starting a new topic only defines the topic - and not the range of perspectives that can be expressed in the topic. Otherwise, there should be a rule stating that all posts in a topic must agree with the subject and perspective of the original poster. I'd hate to see how that ends.

Well, I'm rested enough for another dozen flights. :)
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Bob wrote:When do you think we'll be reading Erika's "communications" about: 

- Any past or future Otto Lilienthal Meets sponsored by non-USHPA clubs 
- Utah's recent removal of USHPA membership requirements for State parks 
- Site records recently broken at Dockweiler by any non-USHPA members 
- Los Angeles County flight waivers recently available to non-USHPA pilots 
- Hang gliding pilots expelled by USHPA for testifying in a court of law 
Ken wrote:Cool it, Bob. Erika is the USHPA Communications Manager, and her business is communication for USHPA.
So USHPA doesn't want its members to know about any hang gliding opportunities or events that aren't completely controlled by ... USHPA? So USHPA members will be paying a salary for someone to tell the members only what the USHPA Board wants them to know? "Communications Manager" is sounding more like "Propaganda Manager" all the time.

And now you're making thinly veiled threats to kick me off this forum for expressing this viewpoint? What's happened to you Ken? And that reminds me of another item for Erika's new "communication strategy" (back on topic).

In the spring of 2016 (just 2 years ago), USHPA failed to renew the Torrey Hawks Chapter. We had been USHPA Chapter #270 since our original application in 2007. We had submitted all of the paperwork for the 2016 renewal. We had met all of the rules, regulations, and SOPs (consistent with every other club - including the Fellow Feathers and SHGA). We submitted our membership list showing 185 members - with the required percentage of USHPA members. Yet USHPA never renewed our Chapter. They asked a bunch of questions (which we answered), and then nothing happened.

That was ON YOUR WATCH, Ken Andrews. You even wrote back to myself and our club President (Brian McMahon) on May 27th, 2016:
Bob and all,

I expect that the USHPA office will process your chapter renewal without problem. If you encounter any further difficulty, let me know, and I’ll do what I can to help.

-Ken
USHPA still refused to renew our chapter, so we did let you know (as you requested). You had said that you would "do what I can to help", but you didn't. You let a 185 member club be expelled from USHPA ON YOUR WATCH for what?

Erika, that would be another great thing to "communicate" to everyone in USHPA. Every club (including the SHGA) should know that USHPA can refuse to renew their chapter status for purely political reasons. Please let me know when the press release for any of these items comes out. Thanks in advance.
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

Congratulations are in order. She will be running the place inside of a year.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B3eK9HJkE8[/youtube]