New safety rule¿ Radio Transmit time-Out Timer (TOT)

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
OP

New safety rule¿ Radio Transmit time-Out Timer (TOT)

Post by OP »

If you fly with a PTT, please set your transmit timer. If you can't do it i'll do it for you. Takes about 20 seconds. Inability to communicate due to a stuck button could be considered a safety issue.

For the FT-150 or 250 radios its option #22

For the 170 or 270 radios its option #47
Chip
Site Admin

Great suggestions

Post by Chip »

OP mentioned this yesterday on the way up the mountain. Seems like this is one of the best suggestions I've heard regarding radios in a long time.

I'd agree that having this condition happen can be a hazard to all other pilots if we needed to communicate important information.

We'll get something up on the bulletin board for those that don't regularly come to the forum.
BudRob

Post by BudRob »

A great idea. I will do it.
Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

Great idea, I'll do it too.
filthy

Post by filthy »

great idea i will have OP do it too
BudRob

Post by BudRob »

The deed is done and tested. It works.

However OP failed to mention one thing before you start. You must UNLOCK your radio before beginning. For my FT-150 radio, push the F key and then the LOCK(6) to enable changes.

This will save many of us a some grief since just about everyone runs into shorted wires or other stupid reasons where the transmit button gets continuously activated.
OP

Post by OP »

Some other things to consider:

Auto Power Off (APO): If you forget to turn the radio off, it will shut itself down in a determined amount of time.

If you have the 170/270; Try the 'RF squelch' in place of the default 'tone squelch.' This makes the difference to upgrade to the 170/270 version.
Steve90266

ptt auto off

Post by Steve90266 »

Thanks OP!
Steve Murillo