Chip
Site Admin

2016 Spring Air Results

Post by Chip »

Open Class Winners

1st Jim Thompson
2nd Ken Andrews
3rd Jonathan Dietch

Sport Class Winners (waiting for official results when I get Greg's track log)

Greg Angsten
Kevin Kernohan
Marshall Robin
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

One of the more interesting lessons learned yesterday, and a mistake that will not likely get repeated by the unnamed pilot is situational awareness as to where you are in or outside of the start cylinder.

Take this screen shot as an example from the pilots track, pilot just inside the start cylinder and exits about 20 (1:59:36) seconds too early, not likely exiting, but thermaling.

Then looks at this, if the pilot would have just extended the leg by a few meters, then the pilot would have been entering the start cylinder within the start period and when he exited, the race and his instrument would have told him to go.

Instead, the pilot thought he had made an error in programming the instrument and decided to just go about the task. The scoring software allowed the pilot to be given the start. However, the entire time, the pilots instrument was pointing back to the start cylinder because the pilot never re-entered the start area within the allowable start time. This confused and frustrated the pilot and the pilot basically threw in the towel and gave up instead of listening to the instrument.

Later the pilot discussed the situation and inquired what field would have been best to consult to give the pilot situational awareness as to the start cylinder proximity. The answer is to have the distance to cylinder or distance to start cylinder as one of the fields available.

I did later update the pilots instrument to the latest firmware.
JD

Post by JD »

Thanks for running the race!
I put my race video here: http://www.shga.com/forum/phpBB2/viewto ... 1307#21307
Steve90266

Spring Air Results

Post by Steve90266 »

Congrats to all! Who took the spot landing? It looked like Joe's old partner (forgive me for not knowing his name) nailed it! Do tell!
Steve Murillo
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

Front Page, Ken Manatt