2016 Dahlsten Cup

Moderator: Comp Committee

Chip
Site Admin

2016 Dahlsten Cup

Post by Chip »

Nice turn out. Plenty of open class pilots making goal and even more would have made it if only they would have gone about 50m further. See here

In this screen grab we see Will and Kevin, oh, so close to the waypoint coming into the Big T waypoint for the 2nd time. We extended the radius around the Big T TP to 2 km. Kevin is at 4230', Will 4196'. A small extension to the east would have assured Kevin and Will the TP and 3rd and 4th respectively.

Honestly I think that having a larger radius around Big T makes more sense safety wise because it makes the radii larger so not all of the pilots are driving into the 400m cylinder too low.
chadness

Post by chadness »

Hey Jeff,

it was a great/fun comp with pretty much perfect conditions. I think it was called perfectly, sufficiently challenging but good enough for a local comp that most could complete (if we didn't make stupid navigation and/or vario errors). I had no issues with driving in deep enough to make the two Big T trips, but failed to remember/notice the last turnpoint of goal at Locals. Thinking I "finished" at the 1500, I took a nice thermal up to end the day and unluckily missed the locals turnpoint on my way to the LZ (was high and flew way behind it). Oh well, it was fun to make the crossing twice and come in the LZ thinking I did a good job...

The whole event was again, exceptionally well run, flying comps, landing comps, food, setup, prizes. With our strong pilot community and heroic volunteers, these are indeed the good times. THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH (again).
Greg Kendall

Post by Greg Kendall »

Are the results posted somewhere?
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

JD

Post by JD »

Thanks for the scoring and results Chip.
Ken Andrews
Site Admin

Dahlsten Cup 2016

Post by Ken Andrews »

Hey; now I want a few more points!

I believe that my track log will show that I took the first start gate at 1:30, sank like a stone, and so hung around and restarted after the second start gate at 1:45. That is legitimate, isn't it? Hence, I think my flight time should be 15 minutes shorter than scored, supposing that I didn't screw up that second entry in some way.
Greg Kendall

Post by Greg Kendall »

I think I got a pretty good start on the 3rd clock. What do you mean there's no 3rd clock?
Chip
Site Admin

Re: Dahlsten Cup 2016

Post by Chip »

Ken Andrews wrote:Hey; now I want a few more points!

I believe that my track log will show that I took the first start gate at 1:30, sank like a stone, and so hung around and restarted after the second start gate at 1:45. That is legitimate, isn't it? Hence, I think my flight time should be 15 minutes shorter than scored, supposing that I didn't screw up that second entry in some way.
Yes, legitimate. I think there is a problem with the FS software and saw as much on the FAI forum. I don't see a place where we can manipulate the scoring manually, so I've got some learning to do in that regard.

I did see you make the first start and then got the first WP. I think if you had not gotten the 1st TP, it would have correctly scored it as starting the second clock.

I used several older versions and haven't gotten a better result thus far.

Defect documented here. It is still not fixed after 2 years.