Condor Microtrash Cleanup

Upcoming event & clinic announcments.

Moderator: Event Co-Ordinator

Malury

Post by Malury »

The Condors and the SHGA need volunteers to help clean up bite-size bits of trash and broken glass etc. Baby Condors are hatching soon and they sometimes die from eating man-made items like bottlecaps and cigarette butts. These majestic birds need a little help from us to get off to a good start in life.

The plan is to meet up with the other participants on Feb 19, 2007 at 9 AM at Bear Divide, form a line side by side and proceed to pick up all harmful items in front of you. bring hats, gloves, sunscreen, kneepads and your glider, because after this we are gonna go flying.

More details on this website: habitatwork.org

We will all benefit from helping the dedicated people from Habitatwork.org and the US Forest Service. Watch for more details soon.
Last edited by Malury on Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BJ Strand

Post by BJ Strand »

Malury,

Your link was off just a tad; it had an extra "at" in it. :wink:

http://www.habitatwork.org

And specifically for the condors:

http://www.habitatwork.org/condor.htm
Last edited by BJ Strand on Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malury

Post by Malury »

Thanks BJ, I fixed it !
Malury

Post by Malury »

Here is a little more information about the cleanup. This effort is being organized by the good people at Habitatwork.org in coordination with the U.S. Forest Service. Our role is to bring pilots and family to help gather the trash.

This will be good for the Condors, Good for the USFS, good for the forest, good for the SHGA, and good for our standing in the community.

The cleanup mentioned on Joe Greblo's Kagel Kam page is the same operation as this one. We will meet the other groups at Bear Divide. I am not yet sure exactly where that is but I will make sure soon. I believe it is the junction where the road to Fire Camp Nine branches west from the Sand Canyon Rd. I also expect that the area we will be cleaning is the "Towers" area as mentioned by Greblo. Stay tuned for more details soon.
Malury

Condor Clean Up Plan

Post by Malury »

The Plan is to meet in the LZ at 8:00 AM on President's Day, Feb. 19, 07. We will leave at 8:30 sharp and meet the HabitatWork people at 9:00 AM at Bear Divide Picnic Grounds for an orientation. This is located where Little Tujunga Canyon Rd. meets Sand Canyon Rd. Right where the road to Towers Launch branches off. See this link for a map.

http://maps.yahoo.com/index.php#mvt=m&q ... 0726&mag=6

Bring many layers of clothing, a hat and sunblocker. Bring your gliders too, After this event we intend to go flying.
Frederick

Post by Frederick »

Any chance you can post an approximate schedule for the day? Thanks
Malury

Re: Condor Clean Up Plan

Post by Malury »

Good Idea Freddy,

8:00 AM- Assemble in our LZ
8:30 AM- Depart our LZ
9:00 AM- Arrive at Bear Divide Picnic Area for orientation
9:30 AM- Caravan to clean up sites
11:30 AM- Approx time to say good bye and go fly!

Malury wrote:The Plan is to meet in the LZ at 8:00 AM on President's Day, Feb. 19, 07. We will leave at 8:30 sharp and meet the HabitatWork people at 9:00 AM at Bear Divide Picnic Grounds for an orientation. This is located where Little Tujunga Canyon Rd. meets Sand Canyon Rd. Right where the road to Towers Launch branches off. See this link for a map.

http://maps.yahoo.com/index.php#mvt=m&q ... 0726&mag=6

Bring many layers of clothing, a hat and sunblocker. Bring your gliders too, After this event we intend to go flying.
Lynn McLaughlin

Post by Lynn McLaughlin »

All,

The front arrived early. What is our contingency plan for rain? Please post a notice if we still plan to do our Condor microtrash clean-up.

Thanks!
SHGA Communications

Post by SHGA Communications »

Courtesy of Windsports "Kagel Kam":

12 people braved the rain on Monday to help with the condor cleanup. Problem was, no one from the condor group showed up. We assume it was cancelled and someone forgot to tell us. Volunteers were Malury and Tokiko, Eric Brown, Jesse Benson, Freddy Wagner, Lynn McLaughlin-Kovak, Bruce Kovak, Julieanne Sikora, BJ Strand, Don Banas, and David DeMars.
SHGA Communications

Post by SHGA Communications »

Malury forwarded this message to all the people who came out, and let Kim know that the club is ready to help out again the next time.

Dear Malury and Intrepid Friends,
We apologize that no one was there when you went to Bear Divide. Yes, rain canceled the event. I personally tried from about 5:30 a.m. on, to post to our web site's calendar page that the event was canceled, to no avail. I don't know if it was the computer I am limping along on while mine is in the hospital, or the connection, or our server, or what, but it would not take the post. Then I sent everyone on the list an e-mail, letting them know the event was canceled. Malury, you were the only contact point I had for your group, except for Larry, who does not currently have a working e-mail address.
Tom and I then made a round of phone calls between 7:30 and 8:00 a.m. to everyone we had phone numbers for. Malury, I didn't have one for you, but spoke with Larry directly. He asked me if I had sent you an e-mail, and when I said yes, he said, 'that will take care of them.' I took that to mean you would surely check your e-mail, but in hind sight, that was a gross oversight on my part. I am so sorry you did not get word, one way or another, and send my sincere apology for not being there when you arrived at Bear Divide. Tom had even suggest he go up there (from Inglewood) in case someone went there anyway. I said no, everyone had been contacted. So, I hope you will forward this to your group so they know what happened and have the opportunity to accept my personal apology.
Best,
Kim Clark
www.HabitatWork.org
818-353-4653

--forwarded by Christian