Owens on Father's day weekend, and then some

Upcoming event & clinic announcments.

Moderator: Event Co-Ordinator

gregangsten

Owens on Father's day weekend, and then some

Post by gregangsten »

A group from the Crestline club, both HG and PG are heading for the Owen's valley for a stretched out Father's Day weekend.
http://www.crestlinesoaring.org/forum/20110515/4845

I'm going up there on the 16th if the weather looks good and stay at least through the weekend. Any other Sylmartians able to rouse themselves from this country club torpor?
OP

Post by OP »

I'll go. But I don't think that I can get time off work.

So it would be just a weekend for me. Do you have a driver?
gregangsten

current status

Post by gregangsten »

Currently we have Markus, Arthur and I going up Thursday. Markus and I will be returning sometime on Monday. My wife Nurit will drive so we should have room for you.
OP

Post by OP »

Awesome, count me in 100%. I'm going to roll up solo on Friday night. Where should I meet you on Saturday morning?
Xander

Post by Xander »

I would love to fly Owens on Father's Day weekend, but I can't get any time off from work this month. Turtle, can me and my glider ride up with you on Friday night to meet the crew?

-Alex
OP

Post by OP »

I have no problem with that...

However... Arthur, Marcus, Greg, and Myself + Greg's wife. That sounds like a full chase team with 5 people.

or just drive up there and hope to find a ride in the large group of other pilots from Crestline?
or maybe more Sylmartians want to join and split the cost of a driver?
gregangsten

info

Post by gregangsten »

From Jeff Bohler via Tom Swanson:

Two additions to the group are Eddy Woods, & his girlfriend Malinda.

They plan on leaving on camping/leaving on Wed. or Thurs.

He won't be flying Walts, but has offered to drive for it. We hope that it'll be flyable at Bishop/Flynns?

If Walts is flyable on Saturday, we we'll meet at Lone Pine airport by 7:30am., & shuttle to launch from there.

We can all meet Friday at the Pizza place, & decide for sure. (between 5-6pm.)

Please add anybody else to this list, that needs contact info.

Jeff Boehler 909-809-2731

Kevin Williams 760-885-2546

Tom Swanson 909-730-7503

Eddy Woods 714-351-3512

Mark Hoffman 714-469-4800

Smokin Joe 951-284-5422

Greg Carey 909-648-6054

Every Day Mike 951-805-0024

I'll try to keep in touch as the week goes on.

Jeff

Don't know if my group will be out at the airport that early. Probably be in the restaurant by the Dow eating breakfast at that time. I'll try to keep a radio on 147.555. My cell No. is 310 213 2139

greg
OP

Post by OP »

Greg,

I can be there at that time. I'm hoping to launch a little earlier due to my inexperience at the site.

The question is, How much room do you have in your truck? I have a subaru that holds 4 gliders and carries 5 people.
Xander

Post by Xander »

Greg Angsten, Turtle, and I flew from Horseshoe to Independence today- topped out over 13k.
gregangsten

Owens flights

Post by gregangsten »

Well the conditions could have been better but they could have been worse too. It was great just to get out of this marine soup for a few days of flying and relaxing.

On Friday Walt's wasn't happening so we played around in the Valley, went to the museum in Laws, then launched Flynn's at 4:15 after watching a couple paragliders sink out. Nearly did the same but grabbed something down low and wound up over Janies 2 hours later.

Saturday Orian, Alex, Arthur and I launched Walt's and had a decent flight to Independence after getting flushed off in Onion Valley. The Crestline group opted to stay local and land at Lone Pine airport. Even a mediocre day up there is a glorious flight.

A few pix from the Whites:

https://picasaweb.google.com/gregangste ... 9265936050