Annual Dockweiler Event - Saturday Aug., 27th

Upcoming event & clinic announcments.

Moderator: Event Co-Ordinator

Lynn McLaughlin

Annual Dockweiler Event - Saturday Aug., 27th

Post by Lynn McLaughlin »

Hey Sylmarians, Friends and Families, It's that time of year to gather and fly Dockweiler. Join us Saturday, August 27th to support our training site and have fun flying the dunes.

It's been confirmed that Surfer Bob and Rob Burgis are organizing for us. This event is always fun. Previous years have included fly/bike/beach racing events and I invite Bob and Rob to chime in here with further details.

SHGA will provide shade structures, sodas, water and lunch fare (read: sandwiches and salads) Folks are welcome to add to the menu with a reminder that state lawy prohibits alcohol on the beach.

Bring beach stuff: sunscreen, hat and chairs and a willingness to have fun and fly.

The annual post Dockweiler party will be hosted by Surfer Bob and Susie Moon at their home in Manhattan Beach. Directions will be circulated on site...

We need volunteers: I am looking for a couple able-bodied assistants to help on site, the day of the event. Please reply to me directly if you can assist with transporting coolers, ice, sodas, shade structures and on-site support.
Dizzy

Post by Dizzy »

Its great event to put some HG flights for PGs or non flying friends. I did 3 flights in 2009 and 3 in 2010. :D Hope to attend this year too.
-Alex-
skydizzy.blogspot.com
Lynn McLaughlin

Dockweiler Event Timeline:

11:30am - Sign-In
12:00pm - 2:30pm - Flying and Golf events **
2:30pm - 3:30pm - Cabbage and Beach Runs
4:00pm - Awards

4:30pm - ??? Party and Bob and Suzie's :-)

** Pilots can continue to fly after 2:30pm, however, those that want to participate in the competition need to complete their flights by 2:30pm

We still need help with set up. Please show up by 10am to assist.

Soon we fly!

Lynn
Rome Dodson

DOCK BEACH EVENT

Post by Rome Dodson »

remember they give out tickets if you park all night!!!out by 11pm ???? deadeye
Susko

Post by Susko »

It's been awhile since I've been to Bob's house, can someone email me his address? I don't expect anyone to post it on a public site. I anticipate getting into town late afternoon early evening on Saturday. So I'll likely miss the fun at the beach, but I wouldn't mind catching up with everyone at the party.

Dave
Surfer Bob

Beach Party & post party

Post by Surfer Bob »

I'll have some little flyers for Susie's & my party with my address and map at Dockweiler on Sat. I hope the weather will be better than today (Wed). It is noon and damn ugly outside here at the beach. It might be cool, but at least it's foggy.
Lynn McLaughlin

Susko,

It will be great to see you! Give a call when you can and we'll get you the party location details you need...
Lynn McLaughlin

BEAT THE HEAT AND BE AT THE BEACH THIS SATURDAY, AUG. 27TH

Bring a beach chair, hat and sunscreen. We need help with set up so be there by 10am if you can help...

~L
Surfer Bob

Beach weather

Post by Surfer Bob »

Weather update: Fog gone; gorgeous. Water swimmable. Should be great!
Lynn McLaughlin

Gonna be a gorgeous day... volunteers to help with set up should arrive at 10:30am. Events begin at 12noon. I will post the rules in a separate entry.

~L
Lynn McLaughlin

Here are the rules for the Dockweiler events...

2011 SHGA BEACH PARTY
Quadathalon Rules

REGISTRATION
Begins 11:30, competition at noon. All club members are encouraged to participate. Please sign-in on the registration sheet when you feel like entering. The number on the sign up sheet is your official race number. Use a Sharpie to write your race number on the back of your hand. All results will be recorded using numbers, not names. Contestants can do as few or as many events as they wish. Points are awarded as such: 1 point for first place, 2 points for second, 3 points for third, etc. Points are bad. After the first 9 places are recorded, the rest of the participants of that event will receive 10 points. Non-participants will receive 12 points. The contestant with the least amount of points at the end of the competition will be the Quadathlon winner.

FLY FOR DISTANCE
Contestants must sign all relevant waivers if they enter Distance Flight event. All DF contestants must have a Hang I rating or higher. All Distance Flights must take place on the designated glider(s). Each contestant gets two flights total. You can switch gliders if you want. Flights must be initiated and foot-launched by the pilot without any push assist. Longest flight within the official landing zone is used in calculations of standing.

GOLF – CLOSEST TO THE PIN
Chip a golf ball from the designated tee-off towards the pin (flag). 3 tries. Closest ball counts for calculations of standing.

BEACH CABBAGES
This is a take-off of a famous international lifeguard competition event; similar to musical chairs. Contestants lie on their backs behind starting line while cabbages are strewn randomly across the sand. At the starting whistle, contestants jump to their feet and run to grab a cabbage. Only grab one cabbage. Contestants are eliminated by the shortage of cabbages. Places are awarded in reverse order of elimination. Last one wins.

BEACH RUN
A soft sand run of a indeterminate distance, finishing on the top of Launch.

AWARDING OF PRIZES
After a brief rest period and time for the judges to do final accounting, certificates of awards will be handed out at the top of Launch near the party area. The first female in the final standings will also be honored. In case of a tie, a final secret event will determine winner.
No appeals will be heard by the official Quadathalon judges.
Cyndia

Beach party

Post by Cyndia »

Thanks Lynn for an event well done! Everybody seemed to have a really great time. Lots of folks stopped on the bike path to watch and ask questions! You and Katherine did a terrific job and I applaud you both!