Comedy Night Fundraiser for Councilman Alarcon

Upcoming event & clinic announcments.

Moderator: Event Co-Ordinator

greblo

Comedy Night Fundraiser for Councilman Alarcon

Post by greblo »

Our long time city Councilman is running for state office of Assemblyman so this gives us some opportunities to thank him for the years of support and service he's provided to our club. There's a good chance of him winning if he doesn't get outspent by his opponent.

Come join SHGA members at a "Comedy Night" this Monday at Casa Torres Restaurant in Sylmar, beginning at 7 pm. for anyone that wants a fun way to show your thanks. Tickets are $50 per person, and it all goes to his campaign. If you can't make it, please consider making a donation to help him win.

Not only has Councilman Alarcon recently secured a $50,000.00 grant to our club from the city, he's also come to bat for us on many occasions in the past including helping us gain title to our land, securing nearly impossible grading and building permits, negotiated forgiveness of large fines, and has saved us tens of thousands of dollars in past and future water fees.

Donations are of course voluntary and a personal choice, and this is not intended to start a forum debate on politics. If SHGA is important to you, at least consider helping elect a hang glider friendly State Assemblyman to office. Email me wspromo123@yahoo.com and I'll send you his donation form. Several pilots have already stepped up to the plate.[/img]
Safety is a book, not a word
Michael Robertson
phkao

Post by phkao »

Yes, donations are of course voluntary and a personal choice, and we do not want to start a forum debating on politics.

We all know that Councilman supports our club; however, please explain how Councilman secured “nearly impossible grading and building permits, negotiated forgiveness of large fines, and has saved us tens of thousands of dollars in past and future water fees.� These statements are vague and ambiguous at best.

How many grading permits and building permits have we tried to obtain in the past? How many grading permits and building permits have we gotten so far? What is it about our water situation?

In my research of the Gazebo Project permitting process I found that we could not get a letter formally stating that hang gliding is an acceptable use of our property from the City (Meeting Minutes May 2009 and August 2010), and at that time, City Councilman was being indicted for 24 counts of fraud over a false address of current residence (Meeting Minutes August 2010).

We ended up paying $6,000 to an expeditor, who was supposed to help us on the permitting process and the matter of fact is that the back-and-forth hard work of obtaining the building permit was done by two of our members.
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

"Councilman was being indicted for 24 counts of fraud over a false address of current residence"

I researched this in-depth and here are the results:

4-9-2012
Judge criticizes Alarcon case
(L.A. County Superior Court Judge Kathleen Kennedy)
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/apr/09 ... n-20120409

5-3-2012
Judge dismisses voter fraud case against councilman Alarcon, wife
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2 ... issed.html
"..Judge Kathleen Kennedy dismissed the case, saying the prosecution failed to present evidence to the grand jury that undercut its case..."

5-4-2012
Cooley refiles charges after judge rejects Alarcon case
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/may/04 ... n-20120504

(video of story)
http://www.ktla.com/videogallery/697619 ... ci-reports

?unknown date - link to full story deleted
Timing of DA Steve Cooley's corruption investigations raises questions
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/irwinda ... 8QLMH0JG02
"..The sudden prosecution of public officials in high-profile cases has raised questions as to whether District Attorney Steve Cooley is playing politics with his position in a final bid for state attorney general..."

5-17-2012
D.A. Steve Cooley won’t run for 4th term; he endorses deputy district attorney Jacquelyn Lacey
http://batteredbypd.wordpress.com/da-steve-cooley/

Jackie Lacey Could Be L.A.'s First Non-White, Non-Male District Attorney
http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2010 ... kie_la.php

End.

It looks to me like Steve Cooley was asked to step down by the Federal Government for trying to practice "Hazzard County" justice in a kangaroo court against Alarcon thus destabilizing Los Angeles for his own political gain.

There I got to mention Dukes of Hazzard in a hang glider forum and gratuitous mention of Daisy Dukes, Catherine Bach
phkao

Post by phkao »

Councilman’s trouble with law wasn’t my interest. It did not take away of the fact that he supported SHGA. The reason I brought up the indictment was because I found that statement in the August 2010 meeting minutes and that implied that Councilman was too busy dealing with his own problems at the time to help us through the permitting hurdle.

I’d appreciate that Joe could answer the following questions.

How many grading permits and building permits have we tried to obtain in the past?

How many grading permits and building permits have we gotten so far?

What is it about our water situation?
WingNutz

Post by WingNutz »

Please take note that a charitable nonprofit corporation (which we aspire to become) cannot engage in the support of a particular candidate, although it may advocate certain issues.
Joe's call for support for Councilman Alarcon assiduously, and properly avoids soliciting the support of SHGAas an organization. Joe is asking for support from SHGA members only in each person's individual capacity.
Regardless of his legal difficulties, Councilman Alarcon has always been a friend to hang gliding in Sylmar. His generous recommendation of $50,000 in funding for SHGA has taken our organization out of the red, and this individual thinks that he is a good person to have in public office.
Soar With Prudent Passion

Larry Chamblee
Busto

Post by Busto »

Considering everything, I feel we are fortunate to receive $50,000.
We all know that Councilman supports our club; however, please explain how Councilman secured “nearly impossible grading and building permits, negotiated forgiveness of large fines, and has saved us tens of thousands of dollars in past and future water fees.� These statements are vague and ambiguous at best.
I believe Pi-Hsuan was merely asking questions to the statement above.

1) How many grading permits and building permits have we tried to obtain in the past?

2) How many grading permits and building permits have we gotten so far?

3) What is it about our water situation?

The fact that Councilman has saved us tens of thousands of dollars in past and future water fees is tremendous.

Since this was brought up by Joe; as a member, I'd like to know.

How is this possible?
OP

Post by OP »

Whereas we are still a 503c7 and do not yet enjoy the benefits of being a 503c3, the club is able to directly lobby and contribute to political causes.

However I say we don't. Leave it up to the individual club member if they would like to individually contribute.