ROTORS

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Jim

ROTORS

Post by Jim »

While I was thinking about the restroom placement, I remembered an idea I had when I saw a Spirit Halloween ad. (Yeah, try to make the connection, yourself)

And maybe we could ask Rick Holman about this. Never mind, I'll call.

OK. Rick has a reasonably large smoke machine that he will lend us.
We could run this in different locations upwind of the LZ to visualize the airflow. Maybe. This might put to rest the rotor-ghosts from Erwin's bus and such. And it will cost us nothing except to replace the smoke-liquid
that we use. I would like to team with someone who can set up video equipment. And I'll need a lot of extension cord. And some decent wind, so it might take a few tries or even fail miserably, if it dissipates too quickly. Such is life but contact me, if you think it's worth the effort.
JD

Post by JD »

Sounds like fun. Let's borrow a generator and put the smoke machine on the Kagel hillside and see if we can tweak the airflow over the ramp while we're at it. If the wind is laminar we can fly our gliders through the smoke and record the tip vortices.

Wasn't there an old soaring adage that states if we could see the air we flew in, we wouldn't fly? Maybe ignorance really is bliss?
Steve90266

Blowing Smoke Rings

Post by Steve90266 »

Jim, this sounds like a fun science project. If I'm in the LZ when your experiment is going down, I'd be happy to assist.
Steve Murillo
Jim

Post by Jim »

I'll let you know when/if this gets scheduled, Steve.

Not a bad thought, Jonathan but 110v power is required to run Rick's. Are you volunteering to record at both locations?
OP

Post by OP »

Jim, that is an awesome idea.

From my smoke machine experiences, even the big ones aren't effective outside. But if it's a free loan, it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. I suggest a "cool burning" non-pyrotechnic smoke canister. They are about 10$ a pop. They last about 3 minutes and make copious amounts of dense smoke. We can use a long stick to introduce it out into the airflow. It would be cool to leave the set-up in the LZ, so we can see what happens in west winds around the trees and to see catibatic.

Sunset over the ocean:
Jim

Post by Jim »

Yet another volunteer?
OP

Post by OP »

I think this just sounds like fun. Imagine seeing the flow on launch? It would be valuable.

If asked i'll get a box of "non-pyrotechnic" devices on my own dime and leave them in the shed. Anyone want to man the tripod?

Two needed things I think:
1. Alert authorities about our activities. Zero fire threat, yet we don't want copters checking out the smoke.
2. Any one have a really long pole? If we can get a device way out there, we can gather data from different heights.

I can imagine other sites copying this effort. Seems like a safety device for free flight people. Having an accessible video of typical flow on launch.

Can we get Greblo's input on this? Is this a bad idea? Will i get arrested for setting of a modern, safe-n-sane but, crazy powerful smoke canister on the hill?
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

The fog machines seems to be a safe solution.

Very few people have problems breathing the fog, even indoors.

The generator can stay on the flat away from brush/fire danger.

The fog machine can get hot so extra care is needed in brush.

From here:
http://www.gotfog.com/fog_machine_safety.html
Is Fake Fog Safe To Breath?
Most consumer fog machines use fog fluid made of a combination of water and a chemical called glycol, which has been found to be safe in a number of studies and is not considered to be hazardous to humans, and generally used without problems. But, some people do complain of respiratory problems and throat irritation when exposed to theatrical fog.
jcflies

Post by jcflies »

I volunteer to help with this. Would LOVE to see the results in the L/Z and on launch!
janyce

"You HAVE to make it..."
Mike Blankenhorn

Post by Mike Blankenhorn »

OP is right, fog machines are not suited for such outdoor activity. Canned smoke is the way to go!
Take Care,
Mike Blankenhorn
Rome Dodson

smoke

Post by Rome Dodson »

i have 2400 watt generator. rome