Adam Stone's Epic Xcountry

A place to stretch the truth a little...
Christian

Adam Stone's Epic Xcountry

Post by Christian »

Not only did club member Adam Stone fly 132 miles from Kagel to Palm Springs in 2004, reaching almost 18,000 feet and experiencing 1700 fpm on his Ultrasport, but he created a fascinating account that allows us all to live it.

http://www.sol3logic.com/adam/hang_glid ... ht_220.htm

Click "3D" for his route.

Click "animation" to experience it as he did.
JBBenson

Post by JBBenson »

I loved reading that story. Very well written. Much better than most of those dry, heavy-on-the-stats comp blogs. He communicated the same sense of astonishment and adventure I feel when flying, but on a much bigger scale of course.

I like especially the part where he lands near a Denny's. He enters and sits down at a table there, and orders some lemonade. Decompressing back into real-world-time. With his amazing secret.

Congratulations to him and his amazing feat. Hats off.
FlyingStone

Thanks for the Link

Post by FlyingStone »

I don't know if I can top that flight, but I hope to get the chance to try!
lswendt

Post by lswendt »

I remember that day like it was yesterday. And I remember you talking in the LZ before we went up telling us what your plans were. Nice execution!

Come back and fly Adam. We miss you!

lw
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

On the day that Adam made his epic flight, I had been in town two days after a flying trip to Florida. I couldn't get away from work after being gone 2+ weeks. But I did make repeated complaints that it looked like the best day I'd seen in all my years of flying at Kagel. I told several folks that "Someone is going to fly from Kagel to Crestline today." Not only did the forecast look good, but the day looked incredible from the ground. The few days before looked pretty darned good too. Way to pick 'em, Adam! And way to go on executing the plan. Come on back and fly again.
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George