Race Training Day 1

Moderator: Comp Committee

Chip
Site Admin

Race Training Day 1

Post by Chip »

For some time now I've wanted to try and start to improve my understanding of the Flytec 5030 while racing to a goal. During my recent trip to Florida I was hoping to improve my chances of my final glide woes. Long story short looks like I have some more things to learn.

Another goal is to be able to score the tasks as quickly as possible using FS from FAI. I'm pretty good at that and showed on Saturday that I can run several tasks and several different classes at the same time. Since I getting much better at this I wanted to keep up on those skills by having the computer on most days so I can setup mini tasks and score them like any other real comp.

Today (May 25th, 2009), Jay, Max and I decided to try and set a more than achievable goal. The task was short but the goal wasn't so much to set records in as much as they were meant to instruct the pilot on the use of the 5030 or 6030.

We set a task that included:
  • 1500 (Start cylinder of 1km) Start time of 14:30 (1 start time)
    1500 TP (400m radius)
    Lances TP (400m radius)
    Locals Goal (400m line crossing)
11km task

This was basically the sport class task during the Spring Air comp (well Danny Black may disagree since the task at the Spring Air had goal at towers instead of locals). :evil:

My specific goals were:
  • Be near the start cylinder at the start time
    Try to be efficent on glides
    Know when I could make the TP using the 5030 height above WP field
After all the pilots landed I scored each one of us very quickly and in the end Max and Jay both saw their flights and understood some of the things that might have not been readily apparent on the surface.

Jay saw that he had the lead going into the start cylinder by 30 seconds, he made the connection after seeing the track logs that he should have tagged the TP at the 1500 and then turned immediately towards Lances. I did that and pulled ahead of him, Jay continued past the 1500 TP cylinder and went all the way to the TP and found a climb at the 1500 and gained about 400' prior to leaving. The graphic below illustrates the idea:

Jay said after that he learned just what not to do. So he thought that the task was worthwhile even though we didn't fly all that long.

Max got to hear his instrument sing it's little song when a TP is made. Might sound like a simple thing but it is rewarding to know that the instrument is working and will indicate to you via sounds that you can now proceed to the next TP.

For me, my lesson for today was the glide into Lances. As I was climbing in front of trash, I selected my second page on the 5030. I set this page to show me L/D required to TP and height above TP. When the video turns inverse, then it is indicating you have enough height to make it. Trusting the instrument is what I'm after and I think I got that today.

Why am I even telling any of you this? Cause I want more people to join me and Jay (I think we are both committed to this somewhat). If you want to participate just see me when I'm at the LZ and we'll put together something for the class you want to fly.
Last edited by Chip on Mon May 25, 2009 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JD

Post by JD »

Sounds like fun. I need to set up some tasks to practice on when I'm out there next time. Are both TS & SeeYou useful for analyzing the results?
Chip
Site Admin

SeeYou too complicated for your average Joe

Post by Chip »

SeeYou requires more knowledge in pearl than I have at the moment. FS is free and very easy to use (although I have a small problem with the Garmin 76 Map at the moment using GPSDump).

I have Friday off and maybe we'll put something together. All in all I think I can have the task created in a few minutes and the scoring complete within 30 - 40 minutes after landing.

Compared to how fast you can setup a comp in FS, SeeYou isn't worth the hassle.

The Race Training will last until the year ends.

Day 1 results here