Sunrise Powerlink

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Brad Hall

Sunrise Powerlink

Post by Brad Hall »

Some San Diego County hg & pg sites are threatened by the proposed power lines running right through the sites. We could use your help.

Sent: Fri, March 26, 2010 10:16:32 AM
Subject: Urgent action needed for Sunrise Powerlink - please call and email

Urgent: Please call and email right away. Feinstein is pushing the
Forest Service to approve the Sunrise Powerlink. Below is the link to the article stating that she did not know there was opposition. Let's let her and the Forest Service know that we oppose this project. Thank you for your continued support.
Sharmin Self
ECCAC

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010 ... -approval/

Diane Feinstein
San Diego Office
750 B Street, Suite 1030
San Diego, CA 92101
Phone: 619-231-9712
Fax: 619-231-1108
email: http://feinstein.senate.gov/public/inde ... Us.EmailMe

Tom Tidwell, Chief
U.S. Forest Service
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-0003
email: ttidwell@fs.fed.us

Randy Moore, Regional Forester
Pacific Southwest Region
1323 Club Drive
Vallejo, CA 94592
email: rmoore@fs.fed.us

Secretary Tom Vilsack
U.S. Department of Agriculture
1400 Independence Ave., S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20250
email: agsec@usda.gov

Volk did it. And I don't even fly around here anymore.

Did you?

Someday I may make it out to Laguna again,

All the best,

Sincerely,

Glen Volk, SIOR
Senior Vice President
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Thanks for the posting Brad. I've been to several of the meetings over the past couple of years (both before and after becoming Regional Director), and I think this is a worthwhile effort.
LynePerry

Sunrise Powerlink

Post by LynePerry »

Thank you RDs for your support.

For background information see my posts on the CSS forum:

http://www.crestlinesoaring.org/forum/20100326/3142

Please feel free to use as much of my letters as you want to keep it simple.

Thanks,
Lyne Perry
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Thank You Lyne!!

I've been to many of those meetings and to the rancher's fundraiser, and I've seen you putting in your own time to save your site. It's people like you who make our sports better for everyone. Thanks for your hard work and dedication.
Bob Kuczewski

Bob's Letter...

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Here's my letter sent to all of Lyne's suggested addresses (I've also included my February 2008 speech to the CPUC to demonstrate my long-term commitment to this effort).

Now I've got a challenge for all you recall supporters. I challenge you to write a letter yourself and then post it here. What better way to turn lemons into lemonade!!

Bob K.
Bob Kuczewski wrote:_Title_ _Name_,

My name is Bob Kuczewski and I am President of the Torrey Hawks Hang Gliding Club, and I am also a Regional Director for the United States Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association (USHPA).

I am writing to voice my concerns over plans to build the Sunrise Power Link through areas where hang gliding and paragliding operations have been taking place for almost 30 years. I have attended several public meetings to express these concerns (2008 and 2009), and I have filed at least one written statement along with my public testimony (which should be a matter of public record).

The problem of overhead power lines near hang gliding and paragliding operations is not theoretical. In November of 2005 I lost my own paragliding instructor (and friend) when his hang glider struck power lines in Mexico. Unfortunately, Alan was not the first (nor likely the last) person to lose their life through a collision with overhead power lines. For this reason, I ask that the plans to build the Sunrise Power Link in the San Diego area be revised to mitigate the impact on our popular hang gliding and paragliding sites.

Of course, the Sunrise Power Link involves many complex issues, and as Regional Director for USHPA, it is not my place to comment on most of them. But I can ask that you please give careful consideration to the placement of high voltage lines which endanger the brave spirits who take to the air in remote places like "Horse Canyon", "Laguna Mountain", and "Blossom Valley". As hang glider and paraglider pilots, we are becoming an endangered species as we lose suitable habitat for our sports. All that we require is a small patch of ground to launch and land, and an unobstructed sky where we can fly for hours and climb to many thousands of feet - consuming no energy other than the air currents powered by the sun. Please respect the increasingly rare adventurous spirit that drives our members to the sky. Please take the steps to protect our members from these intrusive power line projects.

Sincerely,
Bob Kuczewski
President - Torrey Hawks Hang Gliding Club
Regional Director - USHPA, Region 3
858-204-7499
Bob's speech to the CUPC Commissioners, February, 2008 wrote:My name is Bob Kuczewski and I am president of the the Torrey Hawks Hang
Gliding Club (torreyhawks.org). I have a private pilots license with a seaplane rating. I hold an advanced hang glider rating and an advanced paraglider rating. I have flown sailplanes and remote controlled gliders. I hold a Bachelor of Science degree in Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering, and I have worked in the aerospace industry since 1983 for companies like General Dynamics, TRW, and Northrup Grumman. I have also been an intervenor in proceeding R.95-04-043 where I spearheaded the 1999 community effort to stop the three way split of our 619 area code into 619, 858, and 935. Many have credited my effort with stopping the 935 portion of that split.

I stand before you today wearing the jacket of Alan Chuculate who was my instructor, my mentor, and my friend. Alan was killed in November of 2005 when his hang glider struck unmarked power lines near a little town in Mexico.

The Sunrise Power Link involves many complex issues, and as president of the Torrey Hawks Hang Gliding Club, it is not my place to comment on most of them. But I can ask that you please give careful consideration to the placement of high voltage lines which endanger the brave spirits who take to the air in the remote places that we call "Horse Canyon" and "Laguna Mountain". As hang glider and paraglider pilots, we are becoming an endangered species as we lose suitable habitat for our sports. All that we require is a small patch of ground to launch and land, and an unobstructed sky where we can fly for hours and climb to many thousands of feet consuming no energy other than the air currents which are powered by the sun. Please respect the increasingly rare adventurous spirit that drives our members to the sky.

As president of the Torrey Hawks Hang Gliding Club, I am freely available to help the Commission or its petitioners to preserve our habitat. You can contact me directly through our club's web site at torreyhawks.org.

Thank You