Cloudsuck, a beast within the cloud? More newbish questions.

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

DigitalBishop

Cloudsuck, a beast within the cloud? More newbish questions.

Post by DigitalBishop »

I searched the forum on this beast and came up with Joe's explanation on how to handle it. I have a slight idea as to what the nature of this beast is but I'm not too sure.

What is this beast of a phenomenon?
Sounds like it can be a playful thing one minute and turn around and swallow you up the next. How dangerous can it be?
If you're caught in cloudsuck that is faster than you're rate of descent and you can't escape it or you feel that you can't escape it. What do you do?

I keep reading that clouds are good (cumulus at least) and that the ones with angry anvils (cumulonimbus) are ones to avoid.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Hey, Specks!

Well, let's see. First one should note that flying inside a cloud is unlawful. It is also not very bright. Other flying objects can be inside of clouds. You cannot see them. They can hurt you. Heck, it is even worse if the mountain is in the cloud with you. Ouch! Getting too close is also unlawful. (See your instructor and FAR103 for details.)

OK, now that the disclaimer is in place....

Cloud suck is caused by the latent heat of vaporization of water. In other words, the water in the rising air condenses. Doing so releases the heat that it took to evaporate the water. Thus the thermal is "recharged". That's the layman's short-story. For more details, see a weather book.

Cloud suck varies tremendously in strength and danger. I have found some that was so light that if you didn't push out all the way, you'd miss it. I have found some that was so strong that I ran, and was going up the entire time.

There are a few general rules about recognizing suck and clouds:

1) The taller the cloud (from top to bottom), the stronger the suck is likely to be
2) The darker the cloud, the stronger the suck is likely to be (especially the darker the base is)
3) The more concave the bottom of the cloud is the stronger the suck is likely to be
4) The wider area the cloud covers the stronger the suck is likely to be. And more importantly, the farther you have to go to get out of it if you need to escape.
5) The strongest suck is likely to be in the area of the cloud that has the darkest bottom, with the most concave bottom, and under the tallest cloud.
6) There are exceptions. Newly forming clouds can often have very strong suck under them, even though they don't look like much yet.
7) The farther you are from the bottom of the cloud the less the suck will likely be
8) Suck often gets stronger right up to the cloud (and into it). But not always
9) Talk to your instructor before playing with clouds
10) Study the sky, and books about clouds. "Understanding the Sky" is a good reference.

What if you get caught in strong suck?

I used to think that spiral diving was the solution, but I once tried it in calm air and realized that I often get in lift so strong that spiral diving will not get me down. And entering a cloud in a tight turn means you WILL be disoriented, and unable to fly level. SO, now I believe that the solution is to fly straight at high speed to the closest edge of the cloud. If you do get into the cloud, slow down just before you enter it, and be absolutely level, and at a nice controllable speed. Use your GPS or Compass if you have one to head towards the closest edge.

Of course, the real trick is not to get stuck in that situation at all. In order to prevent that, don't get too far towards the middle of a strongly sucking cloud. How far in is safe? That takes experience. The key is to never be so far towards the middle that you cannot make it to the edge of the cloud. If you aren't sure, then stay at the edge and/or well below the cloud. Always have a safe path to clear air. This is especially true if the air is crowded, cloudbase is below the mountain top, or if the cloud is very tall. As for T-storm clouds: Just don't do it. The suck goes to 30, 40, 50 thousand feet. You'd come out an asphyxiated icicle. There can be hail. There can be lightning. There is often rain. And sometimes the suck turns into a downdraft that is just as strong as the suck was. Can you say micro-burst? If it will crash a 747, it will crash you.

But mild suck under a nice medium-sized cumulus cloud is one of the most pleasant things about flying. We don't get enough of it at Kagel, but when we do, it can be very very nice. This past July, I flew 30+ miles without turning, largely in the suck from a cloud street. Way too cool.

Did I forget anyting?
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George