Home Forums Website Help & Suggestions What happened to the existing (“old”) forum posts?

Tagged: 

• Author

What happened to all of the existing (“old”) forum posts?

The old forum posts held a wealth of information and club history. What happened to all of those posts? Some of those posts were from our friends who are no longer with us. Are those posts available anywhere on line? And if not on line, can they be made available for rehosting elsewhere?

As an observation: We seem to be losing more information in the supposed “information era” than at any other point in human history. And it’s so needless since the availability of storage is growing exponentially. It only takes a few minutes to download and upload an entire forum history (database) to preserve it. Has that been done with the old forum posts?

The old forum posts held a wealth of information and club history. What happened to all of those posts?

Agreed. I understand the new website forum may be technically incompatible with the old database.
    But, the old forum should remain available as a “read only” archive. There is a wealth of historical information there. It would be a shame to lose it forever.

I did a little poking around viewing the page sources for the new forum, and I am suspecting that this forum is now a WordPress “bbPress” site. If that’s true, then there are a number of converters from phpBB (old format) to bbPress. Here are some links:

But I tend to agree with Eric that it might be easier just to let the previous forum live on in a “read only” state to preserve the history. Is there any reason that couldn’t be done?

If it’s a matter of workload, I am sure you will find some volunteers. I’ve been managing the US Hawks site (phpBB) for nearly 14 years now, and I could lend a hand. If nothing else, you could reactivate the old site just long enough to run a site-scraper to capture it all as static HTML pages. You could host those static pages anywhere in your current site. It would be better than nothing.

Most importantly, please don’t lose the history that has been built here for well over a decade.

Thanks.

Likely serial format change to motion picture format (youtube) to improve profits.

ushawks now control all California hanggliding sites, ACA, Shga, Santa Barbara, Funston, San Berandito.

2028 Olympics in Los Angeles is our top priority. Palos Verdes flying site added if Newsome installs pegs to stablize land shift. ACA could employee site.

ushawks backs Murillo changes because of future benefit to California olympic revenue.

Eric wrote:

But, the old forum should remain available as a “read only” archive.

That should be especially easy since the old forum’s URLs used the singular “forum”:

http://www.shga.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5196

While the new forum uses the plural form:

https://shga.com/forums/

So the old forum could continue to exist without conflicting with the new one. That would also preserve all of the external links into the Sylmar forum (which are now broken). Is there any reason that approach hasn’t been taken?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.